Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
September 2013 – April 2017
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi|
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
In addition to his administrative responsibilities, Professor Nanda teaches in PGP, PGPX, and Executive Education Programmes at the Institute. Before joining IIMA, Nanda was Robert Braucher Professor of Practice at Harvard Law School for seven years. Before that, he was a Harvard Business School faculty member for 13 years. He was Officiating Director, IIM Nagpur from its inception in 2015 to 2017 and Fellow, Harvard Business School Executive Education from 2013 to 2017. He is Distinguished Fellow, Harvard Law School Executive Education.
Nanda's vision for IIMA is "to educate leaders of enterprises." His strategic thrust at the Institute has been to (a) connect proactively with five constituencies (research, practice, policy, alumni, and connectivity), (b) nurture a high performance culture at the Institute (by fostering autonomy, stretch, and community; and)  (c) grow the Institute in strategic areas (including expansion of Executive Education and PGPx programs, starting a School of Public Policy at the Institute, and recruiting faculty at entry level and lateral positions).
Nanda led significant fund raising efforts at IIMA. He was actively involved in discussions leading to drafting of the IIM Bill, which affords IIMs strategic and operational autonomy. He has recommended that management education capacity should be expanded in India not only by opening new institutions, but also by growing existing ones.
Nanda has led an initiative for greater diversity in admissions to IIMA, leading to an increase in the proportion of women students and students with non-engineering backgrounds in IIMA. He announced that he will step aside as IIMA director on 1 September 2017, citing personal reasons.
Education & Awards
Nanda has Ph.D. in Business Economics (Harvard), AM in Economics (Harvard), Post Graduate Diploma in Management (IIM Ahmedabad), and B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering (IIT Delhi).
He has received IIT Delhi Distinguished Alumni Award, Henry B. Arthur Fellowship, Harvard University Centre in Ethics and the Professions Fellowship, President of India Gold Medal (twice), and IIMA Director's Gold Medal. In 2016, he was conferred Distinguished Global Thinker Award by IILM.
Research, Teaching, & Advisory
Nanda’s research, teaching, and advisory work focus on leadership, particularly in the context of professional services and institutions of higher education. He has published several case studies and articles and is a coauthor of Professional Services: Cases & Text. During his stint as Director, IIMA, Nanda has written on, and participated in conferences and task forces related to administration of higher education institutions, particularly Indian professional schools.
Nanda has advised professional service organizations including asset management, investment banking, accounting, advertising, consulting (engineering, human resource, IT, management, and strategy), executive search, legal (law firms and legal and compliance departments), public relations, and real estate organizations; human capital intensive organizations, such as pharmaceutical corporations; His work with these organizations has spanned advisory board membership, strategic planning, organization design, governance systems, succession planning, compensation systems, recruitment and promotion practices, and leadership development. He has taught in executive development program tailored for professionals, entrepreneurs, and senior government officials. He has been a non-executive director on boards of public companies, private firms, partnerships, and not-for-profit organizations.
Nanda was born in New Delhi in a family originally from Gujarat, West Punjab. He is married to Shubha Nanda, faculty at Tufts Dental School, Boston. The couple has a son, Pranav Nanda who is studying medicine at College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University, New York.
Prof. Nanda is fond of reading and played squash in his younger days.
- *"Harvard Law Professor to Head India's Top B-School". Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- Nanda, Prashant K. "Old boy Ashish Nanda, Harvard law professor, to head IIM-A". livemint.com/.
- Umarji, Vinay (2013-08-24). "IIM-Ahmedabad is a hidden jewel: Ashish Nanda". Business Standard India.
- "Higher and higher: How IIMA is staying relevant in the global village | Forbes India". Forbes India. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Kamath, Vinay (2016-12-15). "IIM-A gets ₹190-cr funding for research, infra". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Nanda, Prashant K. (2017-01-24). "Cabinet approves bill to make IIMs autonomous". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Nanda, Prashant K. (2015-05-04). "If IIM bill promotes centralization, it's bad news: Ashish Nanda". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Raman, Anuradha. "Bill will erode autonomy, says director of IIM-Ahmedabad". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Nanda, Ashish (2015-04-27). "Ashish Nanda | Not by bricks alone". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- Kamath, Vinay (2016-12-16). "'The quality of learning is better when there is diversity and inclusiveness'". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- PTI. "IIM-Ahmedabad director Ashish Nanda resigns". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- "IIM Confers 10th Distinguished Global Thinker Award on Professor Ashish Nanda, Director IIM Ahmedabad". businesswireindia.com. Retrieved 2017-03-06.
- DeLong, Thomas J.; Nanda, Ashish (2002-12-23). Professional Services: Text and Cases (1 ed.). McGraw-Hill/Irwin. ISBN 9780072559200.