Áth na Fuinseoige
|Elevation||24 m (79 ft)|
|Irish Grid Reference|
Ashford (Irish: Áth na Fuinseoige), historically known as Ballymacahara (Irish: Baile Mhic Aodha Charraigh), is a village in County Wicklow, Ireland. It lies on the River Vartry and at the meeting of the R772, R763 and R764 regional roads. The village was formerly on the main Dublin–Wexford route, the N11, but was bypassed by the new N11 in 2004. As of the 2016 census, the village had a population of 1,425 people.
The Mount Usher Gardens and Arboretum are located in the village. The gardens were previously owned and operated by Madelaine Jay and the Jay family, but recently the gardens and shopping courtyard were leased to the Avoca Handweavers company, which originated in Avoca, County Wicklow, and which has been owned and operated by the Pratt family for many generations.
Ashford is served by Bus Éireann route 133, linking it with Wicklow and Dublin. This route now operates to and from Dublin Airport while since 2012 routes 002 and 006 linking the village with Rosslare Harbour and Waterford no longer serve the village with route 006 terminated from the network altogether.
- Katie McGrath, actress, known for her role as Morgana in the BBC drama Merlin.
- Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, actor, musician, known for his lead role in the motion picture Sing Street and as Alfred the Great in Vikings.
- Joey Tempest, lead singer with the Swedish rock group Europe lived in Ashford for six years.
- Ashford, historic 25" map Archived 2012-08-29 at the Wayback Machine Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- "Sapmap Area - Settlements - Ashford". Census 2016. Central Statistics Office. April 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- "Dublin Airport-Ashford-Wicklow" (PDF). Bus Éireann. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 3, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- "Dublin-Arklow-Gorey-Enniscorthy-Wexford-Rosslare Harbour and return" (PDF). Bus Éireann. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Joey Tempest's Final Countdown on Ireland". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 2018-09-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashford, County Wicklow.|