|Headquarters||3600 Highway 66|
Neptune, New Jersey 07754
|Circulation||< 2.5 million unique visitors/month on its digital site. Print circulation figures: NA|
The Asbury Park Press is a daily newspaper in Monmouth and Ocean counties of New Jersey and has the third largest circulation in the state. It has been owned by Gannett since 1997.
Its reporting staff has been awarded numerous national honors in journalism, including the Selden Ring Award for Investigative Reporting, two the Associated Press Managing Editors' Award for Public Service, the National Headliner Award for Public Service and two National Headliner Awards for Best Series (large papers). The Press' investigative team was a finalist for the 2010 Pulitzer Prize in Public Service. The newspaper was also the home to editorial cartoonist Steve Breen when he won the Pulitzer Prize in that category in 1998.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Bloated section with too many minor awards. (February 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Asbury Park Press has a history of winning national awards for its public service and investigative reporting. Its editorial cartoonist Steve Breen won the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning in 1998 and the newspaper was a finalist for the Pulitzer Public Service Gold Medal in 2010.
|Award year||Story/staffer||National award|
|1998||Stephen P. Breen, 10 cartoons||Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning|
|2004||Profiting from Public Service (published with Gannett New Jersey) by Paul D'Ambrosio, James W. Prado Roberts, Jason Method, Alan Guenther, Jean Mikle, Erik Schwartz, and GNJ staff||Selden Ring Award for Investigative Reporting; Farfel Prize for Excellence in Investigative Reporting; The National Headliner Award for Public Service; SDX Award for Public Service; APME Award for Public Service; Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting, finalist; The Worth Bingham Prize, honorable mention; The Scripps Howard Award for Public Service, finalist; The IRE Award, finalist; Deadline Club Public Service, finalist|
|2005||Corruption editorials by Randy Bergmann||Scripps Howard Walker Stone Award|
|2006||"New Jersey's Pension Peril" by Michael L. Diamond, Nicholas Clunn, Eileen Smith, Peter N. Spencer, Ken Tarbous, Rob Jennings, Alan Guenther, Jonathan Tamari and Paul D'Ambrosio||Investigative Reporters and Editors, medium newspapers, finalist|
|2007||DataUniverse.com created by Paul D'Ambrosio||Knight News Innovation Award, EPpy Awards, finalist; Knight-Batten Awards for Innovation – Crowdsourcing, notable entry|
|2009||"A Troubled Diagnosis" by Alan Guenther||Investigative Reporters and Editors Award, finalist|
|2010||"Fighting New Jersey's Tax Crush" by Paul D'Ambrosio, Shannon Mullen, Jean Mikle, Todd B. Bates and Andrea Clurfeld||Pulitzer Prize Public Service Gold Medal, finalist; National Headliner Award, best series in a large daily; APME Public Service Award, medium newspapers; Brechner Freedom of Information Award; Best of Gannett Community Conversation Award|
|2011||"Barnegat Bay Under Stress" by Kirk Moore, Todd B. Bates with graphics by Jeff Colson||Generoso Pope Award for best local coverage within the New York metropolitan area; APME Public Service Award, medium newspapers, finalist; Best of Gannett Public Service, second place; Online News Association Public Service Award.|
|2011||"Breaking Point" by Paul D'Ambrosio, Shannon Mullen, Christopher Schnaars, Jean Mikle, Todd B. Bates and Andrea Clurfeld||National Headliner Award, best series in a large daily; Investigative Reporters and Editors award, finalist|
|2012||"Deadly Decisions" by Shannon Mullen||Deadline Club of NYC, Feature Writing Award; Taylor Family Fairness Award, finalist|
|2013||"Cheated: Why Lakewood's public schools have failed us" by Shannon Mullen, Ken Serrano, Margaret Bonafide and Todd B. Bates||Deadline Club of NYC, Minority Focus Award|
|2013||"Superstorm Sandy at the Jersey Shore" by Staff||APME Public Service and Best of Show|
National SPJ/SDX Deadline Reporting Award (medium papers)
Scripps Howard Breaking News Award, finalist
Deadline Club of NYC, Breaking News Award, finalist
|2014||"Heroin at the Shore" by Dustin Racioppi and Amanda Oglesby||NYC Deadline Club Awards - Public Service finalist|
|2015||"Summit for Success" by staff||NYC Deadline Club Awards - Best minority focus - finalist|
|2015||"The Iron Soldier" by Ken Serrano and Brian Johnston||National Headliners Club - Best series, up to 100,000 circ. - second place|
NYC Deadline Club Awards - Best newspaper reporting, up to 100,000 circ. - finalist
|2016||"Monmouth County Tax Assessment" by Susanne Cervenka||
Livingston Awards for Young Journalists - Finalist
|2016||"Betrayal of Trust" by Shannon Mullen||
National Press Club/Joseph D. Ryle Award for Excellence in Writing on the Problems of Geriatrics
|2016||"Tax Crisis" by Paul D'Ambrosio, Susanne Cervenka, Todd B. Bates, Bob Jordan, Michael Symons, Kala Kachmar, Shannon Mullen, Ken Serrano and Michael Diamond||National award for Excellence in Economic Reporting|
|2016||Hollis R. Towns||APME McGruder Diversity Award|
|2016||"Childhood Lead Poisoning in New Jersey," by Todd B. Bates||National Association of Black Journalists, Specialty Reporting, finalist|
|2017||"Municipal Court Cash Machine," Kala Kachmar||Livingston Awards for Young Journalists - Finalist|
|2017||"Long Fall," Andrew Ford||NYC Deadline Club Awards - Best newspaper reporting, under 100,000 circ.|
|2017||"The Family Secret," Brian Johnston||Emmy - Mid-Atlantic chapter, Human Interest Feature|
|2018||"Renter Hell," Shannon Mullen, Payton Guion||NABJ Award for investigations, under 150K; NYC Deadline Club Awards - Winner, newspaper reporting under 100,000; Goldsmith Award, finalist; ASNE Local Accountability, finalist; Investigative Reporters and Editor, Print/Online Division IV, finalist; USA TODAY Network, Public Service Award, finalist|
|2019||"Protecting the Shield" selected stories by Andrew Ford||Livingston Awards for Young Journalists - Finalists|
|2019||"Protecting the Shield", by Andrew Ford, Kala Kachmar, Paul D'Ambrosio, Susanne Cervenka, Alex Gecan and Ken Serrano||Silver Gavel Award, American Bar Association; NYC Deadline Club Award, best newspaper story, under 100,000 circ.; NABJ, investigative reporting under 100,000; USA TODAY Network, Public Service Award, finalist|
|2019||"Protecting the Shield," by Andrew Ford, Kala Kachmar, Paul D'Ambrosio, Susanne Cervenka, Alex Gecan and Ken Serrano||Edward R. Murrow Award, Investigative Reporting, digital news site under 2.5 million unique visitors/month|
|2020||"Policing the Police", by Andrew Ford||NYC Deadline Club Award, best newspaper story under 100,000 circ; and finalist, Deadline Club Award for Public Service|
|2020||"Dying to Race," by Stephen Edelson and Frank Esposito||Edward R. Murrow Award, Sports Reporting, digital news sites under 2.5 million unique visitors/month; Best of Gannett, enterprise reporting|
|2020||"Deadly Chases, Few Arrests," by Andrew Ford||National Assn. of Black Journalists, Investigative Reporting, under 100k newspapers|
|2020||"Crack vs. Heroin: An unfair system arrested millions of blacks, urged compassion for whites," by Shannon Mullen, Lisa Robyn Kruse, Andrew J. Goudsward and Austin Bogues||National Assn. of Black Journalists, News Series, under 100k newspapers; Silver Gavel Award, finalist|
- "About Gannett: Asbury Park Press". Gannett Co., Inc. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
- "Editorial Cartooning". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- "The Selden Ring Award for Investigative Reporting". Archived from the original on May 26, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "USC Annenberg | Previous Winners". web.archive.org. May 26, 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-05-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "IRE Awards | 2005". web.archive.org. December 27, 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-12-27. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "IRE Contest". web.archive.org. August 12, 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-08-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "2010 Pulitzer Prizes: JOURNALISM". The Pulitzer Prizes.
- "The Brechner Center for Freedom of Information". web.archive.org. July 26, 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "IRE Contest". web.archive.org. October 30, 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-10-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "2012 Deadline Club Awards Winners and Finalists | Deadline Club". web.archive.org. October 5, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-10-05. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Nieman Foundation | Awards | Awards at a Glance | Taylor Family Award for Fairness in Newspapers | Winners & Finalists". web.archive.org. February 29, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-02-29. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Awards Winners and Finalists Presented in 2013 | Deadline Club". web.archive.org. June 22, 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-06-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sigma Delta Chi Awards - Society of Professional Journalists". www.spj.org.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2013-05-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Awards – Deadline Club".
- "Club announces most finalists in 2015 journalism contest; Columbia J-School's Steve Coll to keynote awards dinner | Deadline Club". web.archive.org. April 13, 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-04-13. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lester, Will. "Baltimore Sun, Wall Street Journal win awards in National Press Club journalism contest". National Press Club.
- "TFAS - Award for Excellence in Economic Reporting". web.archive.org. July 24, 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sigma Delta Chi Awards - Society of Professional Journalists". www.spj.org.
- "Press Tax Crisis series wins top award". Asbury Park Press.
- "Copy Of – Deadline Club".
- "2017 Mid-Atlantic Regional Emmy Nominees | NATAS Mid-Atlantic Chapter". natasmid-atlantic.org.
- "2018 Deadline Club Awards Finalists – Deadline Club".
- Journal, A. B. A. "Silver Gavel Awards honor works on 19th Amendment, untested rape kits and bad cops". ABA Journal.
- report, Staff. "Asbury Park Press 'Protecting the Shield' wins top NYC journalism award". Asbury Park Press.
- "2020 National Edward R. Murrow Award winners". www.rtdna.org.
- "2019 Best of Gannett award winners – Gannett". www.gannett.com.