|Arthur Berriedale Keith|
|Born||5 April 1879|
|Died||6 October 1944 (aged 65)|
Prof Arthur Berriedale Keith DCL DLit LLD (5 April 1879, Aberdeen – 6 October 1944) was a Scottish constitutional lawyer, scholar of Sanskrit and Indologist. He became Regius Professor of Sanskrit and Lecturer in Constitutional History in the University of Edinburgh. He served in this role from 1914 to 1944.
He is buried in Grange Cemetery in Edinburgh with his wife, Margaret Balfour Allan (died 1934). The grave lies on the south side of the central vaults, adjacent to the central archway through the vaults.
Constitutional law and history
- The Theory of State Succession (1907)
- Responsible Government in the Dominions
- 1st edition, 1x vol. (1909)
- "Revised" edition, 3x vols. (1912)
- "Second" edition, 2x vols. (1928)
- Imperial Unity and the Dominions (1916)
- The Belgian Congo and the Berlin Act (1919)
- The British Cabinet System
- The Causes of the War
- The Constitution of England from Queen Victoria to George VI
- Dominion Home Rule in Practice (1921)
- War Government of the British Dominions (1921)
- The Sovereignty of the British Dominions (1929)
- Speeches and Documents on Colonial Policy 1763–1917
- Speeches and Documents on the British Dominions 1918–1931
- The Constitutional Law of the British Dominions (1933)
- The Governments of the British Empire (1935)
- The King and the Imperial Crown (1936)
- A Constitutional History of India (1600–1935), Methuen and Co. Ltd, London (1936)
- The British Commonwealth of Nations. Its Territories and Constitutions, British Life and Thought: No. 1, Longmans Green & Co. Ltd. (1940)
- The Privileges and Rights of the Crown
- The Dominions as Sovereign States
Indian culture and literature
- Indian Mythology (1917)
- The Heritage of India Series: "The Karma-Mīmāmsā" (1921)
- The Religion and Philosophy of the Veda and Upanishads (1925)
- The Samkhya System: A History of the Samkhya Philosophy (1918)
- Buddhist Philosophy in India
- A History of Sanskrit Literature (1928)
- The Aitareya Aranyaka (1909)
- The Veda of the Black Yajus School (Taittiriya Sanhita)
- Rigveda Brahmanas: the Aitareya and Kausitaki Brahmanas of the Rigveda (1920)
- "Review of Indian Mythology by A. Berriedale Keith". Harvard Theological Review. 11: 116–117. 1918.
- Review by Franklin Edgerton, Journal of the American Oriental Society Vol. 50 (1930), pp. 77-79.
- Ridgway Foulks Shinn (1 January 1990). Arthur Berriedale Keith, 1879-1944: The Chief Ornament of Scottish Learning. Aberdeen University Press. ISBN 978-0-08-037737-7.
- Ridgway Foulks Shinnb (1981). Guide to Arthur Berriedale Keith Papers and Correspondence, 1896-1941.