This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Launched||30 May 1992|
|Owned by||ARTE France |
ARTE Deutschland TV GmbH
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Digital terrestrial television|
|Channel 7 (SD)|
Channel 57 (HD)
|Digital terrestrial television |
|Varies by location|
|Digital terrestrial television |
Varies by city
|Canalsat||Channel 7 (SD/HD) |
Channel 505 (HD)
Channel 705 (SD)
|Orange TV||Channel 7|
|Bis Télévisions||Channel 7|
|Channel 26 (German, HD)|
Channel 122 (German, SD)
Channel 196 (French, SD)
|Channel 88 (French)|
Channel 139 (German)
|AB3 (5°W)||11590.00 V (DVB)|
|Astra 1KR (19.2°E)||10744H 22000 5/6|
|Hot Bird||11623.00 V|
|Kabel Deutschland (Germany)||Channel 110 (SD) |
Channel 120 (HD)
|Unitymedia (Germany)||Channel 110 (SD) |
Channel 10 (HD)
|Kabel BW||S2 (113 MHz|
Channel 7 (French)
Channel 37 (Dutch)
Channel 15 (French)
Channel 55 (German)
|MC Cable||Channel 7|
|UPC Austria||Channel 129|
|UPC Tirol||Channel 060|
|Ziggo (Netherlands)||Channel 72 (German)|
TV Française Ziggo App (French)
|Cablecom (Switzerland)||Channel 45|
|Hot (Israel)||Channel 146|
|Telekom Entertain (Germany)||Channel 55 (SD/HD)|
|Alice TV (Germany)||Channel 15|
|Arcor Digital TV||Channel 14|
|Neuf Box TV||Channel 7|
|Freebox TV||Channel 7|
|Orange TV||Channel 7|
|Alice TV (France)||Channel 7|
|Bbox TV||Channel 7|
|Belgacom TV (Wallonia and Brussels)||Channel 13|
|Belgacom TV (Flanders)||Channel 60|
|Canalsat||Channel 7 (SD/HD) |
Channel 505 (HD)
|DU (UAE)||Channel 810|
|A1 TV (Austria)||Channel 24 (SD)|
|Ziggo GO||ZiggoGO.tv (Netherlands only)|
ARTE (Association relative à la télévision européenne) is a Franco-German free-to-air television network that promotes cultural programming. It is made up of three separate companies: the Strasbourg-based European Economic Interest Grouping ARTE GEIE, plus two member companies acting as editorial and programme production centres, ARTE France in Paris (France) and ARTE Deutschland in Baden-Baden (Germany). As an international joint venture (an EEIG), its programmes focuses to audiences in both countries. Due to this, the channel features two audio tracks and two subtitle tracks, each in French and German.
80% of ARTE's programming are provided by its French and German subsidiaries, each making half of the programmes available, while the remainder is being provided by the European subsidiary and the channel's European partners.
ARTE began transmission in 1992, filling frequencies left unused by the demise of La Cinq, the first French commercial television network (created in 1986). The opening night on 30 May 1992 was broadcast live from the Strasbourg Opera House.
ARTE started out as an evening-only service. In the daytime, the frequencies were shared with other channels. A public channel called Télé emploi occupied the French frequencies for about a month during 1994, before the start of La Cinquième (now France 5) in December that year. For German viewers, ARTE was assigned a frequency on the Astra 1D satellite in late 1994, and it was eventually shared with Nickelodeon Germany, later replaced by the new public children's channel Kinderkanal.
In 1996, it started offering an afternoon schedule with reruns for viewers on digital satellite and digital cable. A "proper" afternoon schedule with programmes between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. was introduced on 6 January 2001. The channel eventually got its own analogue frequency on the Astra satellites.
Since 2005 ARTE broadcasts 24/7. In 2007 the catch-up service ARTE+7 is launched, offering internet users free access to a broad range of programs within seven days of their original transmission.
Transmission and reception
ARTE programmes are available with multi-channel audio: all programmes go out in French and in German. Further the original version is screened whenever possible with subtitles in French and German and the hearing or visually impaired may get subtitles or an audio description. Since 2015 a selection of programmes are available with English and Spanish subtitles online, with Polish to follow in late 2016.
The channel enjoys a major footprint in Europe. Both the German and the French version can be received in nearly whole Europe via the satellite Astra1 (19, 2° East), the French version is also available via Hot Bird (13° East). In addition ARTE is relayed not only by all cable networks in Germany and France, but by numerous cable networks in Austria, Belgium, Finland, Luxembourg, Switzerland, and in the Netherlands too.
Since 2008 ARTE broadcasts in HD in Germany and in France. Like the national channels of its own respective countries, the German HDTVversion of ARTE broadcasts in 720p50, while the French one broadcasts in 1080i25. In April 2016 ARTE co-produced (with Astra satellite owner, SES) a live Ultra-high-definition television broadcast of the Le Corsaire ballet from the Vienna State Opera. The programme was transmitted free-to-air on the UHD1 demonstration channel from the Astra 19.2°E satellites.
In Africa, ARTE is broadcast via satellite, cable, MMDS and ADSL in many other countries, via the digital service CanalSat Horizons. Many French-language ARTE programs are also broadcast in Canada on the Ici ARTV cable channel, partly owned by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (85%) and ARTE itself (15%). The Australian Special Broadcasting Service translates many ARTE programs into English for broadcast on its own television network and overseas.
ARTE usually has more viewers in France than in Germany. In 2015, its share of overall viewing was about 2.2 % in France and about 1% in Germany. The differences can be put down to the different television markets in both countries. In France, ARTE was for a long time available to almost everyone as one of six analogue terrestrial channels. Relatively few French households received cable and satellite television, and the other terrestrial channels didn't really compete with ARTE. Meanwhile, thanks to widespread roll-out of cable television, the vast majority of German households had access to about three dozen channels, including several from the public broadcasters with content similar to Arte. After the introduction of digital terrestrial television in France, ARTE's market share has fallen there, while it has been more or less flat in Germany.
- Abenteuer Arte – documentary series (1997–present)
- Arte Journal – information program
- Arte Reportage – current affairs program
- Arte Themenabend – special topics show
- A Very Secret Service – spy comedy
- Bagdad, le bac sous les bombes / Die Jungs von der Bagdad-High – documentary film
- Die Nacht/La Nuit – late-night news
- Do Not Track, a 2015 Arte co-produced web documentary
- Durch die Nacht mit … (2002–present)
- Geo 360° (1999–present)
- Karambolage – a show about French/German customs (2004–present)
- Kurzschluss (2001–present)
- Metropolis (2001–present)
- Le dessous des cartes (Mit offenen Karten) – geopolitical documentary (1992–present)
- Tracks – music program (1997–present)
- WunderWelten (2005-2009)
- Venice New Year's Concert (2016-present)
- 1864 (2015)
- Apple Tree Yard (Nachdem ich ihm begegnet bin) (2018)
- Borgen (2012-2015)
- Breaking Bad – Award-winning American drama series (2010-2015)
- Capital (Wir sind alle Millionäre) (2017)
- Captain Alatriste (Mit Dolch und Degen) (2015, 2017)
- DCI Banks (2012-2016)
- Den fjärde mannen (Der vierte Mann) (2017)
- Eyewitness (Øyevitne) (2015, 2017)
- Fatale-Station (Unerwünscht) (2017)
- Fortitude (Fortitude - Ein Ort wie kein anderer) (2017)
- Gomorrha (2015, 2017)
- Hatufim (2013-2016)
- Hotel Beau Séjour (Zimmer 108) (2017)
- Im Angesicht des Verbrechens (2010-2011, 2013)
- Jekyll (2009-2010)
- Kidnap and Ransom (Der Jäger - Geld oder Leben) (2015)
- Kommissarin Lund (Forbrydelsen) (2010-2012, 2014-2015, 2017)
- Les quatre soeurs (Vier Schwestern) (2018)
- Lilyhammer (2014, 2016)
- Maroni (Die Geister des Flusses) (2018)
- Monroe (Dr. Monroe) (2013-2014)
- National Treasure (Ende einer Legende) (2018)
- Occupied (Okkupert) (2015, 2018)
- Paris (2015)
- Peaky Blinders (Peaky Blinders - Gangs of Birmingham) (2015–present)
- Points de Repères (Im Lauf der Zeit) (2016-2017)
- Rectify (2014-2015)
- River (2018)
- Silex and the City (2012–2017)
- Suburban Shootout (Suburban Shootout - Die Waffen der Frauen) (2010)
- The Code (Der Code) (2015, 2017)
- The Hour (2013)
- The Slap (2011) (The Slap - Nur eine Ohrfeige) (2013, 2015)
- The Spiral (2012, 2017)
- Transferts (Im fremden Körper) (2017)
- Virage Nord (Nordkurve) (2014-2015)
- Wolf Hall (Wölfe) (2016-2017)
This section's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
ARTE offers programmes on all sorts of screens that are free and without advertising. The new media formats complement the on-air programming.
- ARTE live: Programmes can be live streamed on www.arte.tv as well as on smartphones and tablets using the ARTE application
- ARTE+7: With the catch-up service, viewers can see programmes free of charge within seven days after first broadcast on the channel.
- ARTE Future: Platform that joins viewers and online users with experts and takes a closer look at tomorrow's world. Documentaries and fictions fuel the debate on social problems covering ecology, the economy and technology.
- ARTE Creative: Network, Magazine and laboratory for contemporary culture and creativity in all its forms.
- ARTE Concert (formerly Arte Live Web): All the performing arts live, exclusive interviews, behind-the-scenes and backstage tours, etc.
- Web productions: Interactive web documentaries and web fictions
- Culture Touch : especially developed for tablets, the magazine gives a weekly overview of the latest cultural events in Europe, it presents the best of ARTE's programme in short videos, articles, photos and exclusive interviews.
- ARTE has also a radio web site, called Arte Radio.
ARTE in English / en español / po polsku
Since November 2015 ARTE offers selected programmes online with subtitles in English and Spanish, and since November 2016 in Polish. The free offer is a project that ARTE is running with financial support from the European Union. The subtitled programmes are available at www.arte.tv/en, www.arte.tv/es and http://www.arte.tv/guide/pl/.
- "How is ARTE funded? - ARTE Entreprise". Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- Pressemitteilung: Der europäische Kultursender Arte jetzt auch auf Englisch und Spanisch Archived 16 February 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- "Avec le polonais, ARTE désormais en cinq langues - Services". Services (in French). Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "The founding of ARTE". arte.tv. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- A R T E M a g a z i n e, 6 January 2001
- "Broadcasting Archives - ARTE Entreprise". ARTE Entreprise. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- Zeitung, Münstersche. "Arte setzt auf Themenabende". Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- SES and ARTE to Broadcast Le Corsaire Ballet Live in Ultra HD via Astra 19.2 Business Wire. 29 March 2016. Accessed 27 April 2016
- Zehn Jahre arte
- "ARTE wird multilingual". Retrieved 26 June 2016.