The North American telephone area codes 757 and 948 are NANPA telephone area codes covering the southeast corner of Virginia. Area code 757 was established July 1, 1996, as a split from area code 804. Area code 948 was established on February 5, 2020, as an overlay area code for 757.
The region within its service area includes the following:
- The vast majority of the Hampton Roads metropolitan area, encompassing:
- The Eastern Shore of Virginia, the Virginia portion of the Delmarva Peninsula.
Before the implementation of number pooling, 757 was projected to run out of numbers as early as 2002. A plan was developed that would have created a concentrated overlay in the Hampton Roads metro area leaving all of the Eastern Shore in 757. This would have made ten-digit dialing mandatory in southeastern Virginia. However, this plan was never implemented and the area code is not projected to reach full capacity until the middle of 2021. As a result, 757 is one of the few urbanized area codes where seven-digit dialing is still possible, although not for much longer.
In April 2019 it was announced that a plan for an overlay area code was proposed, with the current pool of numbers for the 757 code projected at the time to run out in late 2021. The timeline for implementing the overlay has not been announced yet. On February 5, 2020 it was announced that the overlay area code will be 948. This will make ten-digit dialing mandatory in 757/948. Now, the current pool of numbers for the 757 code is not projected to run out until the second quarter of 2023, delaying implementation of area code 948.
"757" is commonly used as a general geographic descriptor for the Hampton Roads and Virginia Peninsula region. The Hampton Roads Chamber and the Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce have recommended its use in tourism branding.
- "SCC Hearing Examiner Recommends 757 Area Code Relief Plan". areacode-info.com. Archived from the original on 22 December 2001. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "2019-1 NRUF and NPA Exhaust Analysis" (PDF). North American Numbering Plan. Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- Ress, Dave (2019-04-05). "The 757 won't just be the 757 any more: A second area code is coming". Daily Press. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- Martin, Saleen (2020-02-05). "New area code for Hampton Roads will be 948, state officials say". Daily Press.
- (PDF) https://www.nationalnanpa.com/reports/2020-1_NPA_Exhaust_Projections_Final.pdf. Missing or empty
- Metcalfe, Trevor. "757 selected as new name for Hampton Roads in regional rebranding effort". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 2020-08-05.
|North: 804, 410/443/667|
|West: 434||area code 757||East: Atlantic Ocean|
|Maryland area codes: 240/301, 410/443/667|
|North Carolina area codes: 252, 336/743, 704/980, 828, 910, 919/984|