Screenshot of archive.today
Type of site
|Alexa rank||2,897 (July 2018[update])|
archive.today (formerly archive.is) is an archive site which stores snapshots of web pages. It retrieves one page at a time similar to WebCite, smaller than 50 MB each, but with Web 2.0 sites (such as Google Maps and Twitter) included.
Archive.is uses headless browsing to record what embedded resources need to be captured to provide a high-quality memento, and creates a PNG image to provide a static and non-interactive visualization of the representation.
Archive.today was founded in 2012. The site originally branded itself as archive.today, but in May 2015 changed the primary mirror to archive.is. In January 2019, it began to deprecate the archive.is domain in favor of the archive.today mirror.
On July 21, 2015, the operators blocked access to the service from all Finnish IP addresses, stating on Twitter that they did this in order to avoid escalating a dispute they allegedly had with the Finnish government.
Archive.is records only text and images, excluding video and other non-static content. It keeps track of the history of snapshots saved, returning to the user a request for confirmation before adding a new snapshot of an already saved Internet address.
Web pages cannot be duplicated from archive.is to web.archive.org as second-level backup.[why?] The reverse - from web.archive.org to archive.is - is possible, but the copy usually takes more time than a direct capture. Some web sites get deleted from Internet Archive's listings retroactively or blocked from being saved due to their robots.txt file, but Archive.today does not use this.
The research toolbar enables advanced keywords operators, using
* as the wildcard character.
A couple of quotation marks address the search to an exact sequence of keywords present in the title or in the body of the webpage, whereas the insite operator restricts it to a specific Internet domain.
Once a web page is archived, it cannot be deleted directly by any Internet user.
While saving a dynamic list, archive.is searchbox shows only a result that links the previous and the following section of the list (e.g. 20 links for page). The other web pages saved are filtered, and sometimes may be found by one of their occurrences.
- Digital preservation
- Link rot
- WP:Link rot
- Web archiving
- Internet Archive
- Wayback Machine
- "Archive.is Site Info". Site Info. Alexa Internet. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Martin Brinkmann (22 April 2015). "Create publicly available web page archives with Archive.is". Ghacks. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Dascalescu, Dan (18 February 2013). "Web page archiving – Dan Dascalescu's Wiki (review)". Wiki.dandascalescu.com. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Koebler, Jason (29 October 2014). "Dear GamerGate: Please Stop Stealing Our Shit". Motherboard.
There is no way for a website to protect itself from having an Archive.today user mirror the site.
- "archive.is/faq". archive.is. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- Nelson, Michael L. (9 July 2013). "Archive.is Supports Memento". Research and Teaching Updates. Web Science and Digital Libraries Research Group at Old Dominion University. Archived from the original on 27 July 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "archive.is". Memento Protocol Information. Memento Development Group. Archived from the original on 15 September 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Why did you change the URL back from archive-today to archive-is?". Archive.is Blog. May 3, 2015. Archived from the original on June 1, 2015.
- "Please do not use archive.IS mirror for linking". archive.today Twitter account. January 4, 2019. Archived from the original on 2019-01-06.
- "archive.is is 100% blocked in China". GreatFire Analyzer. 12 August 2018. Archived from the original on 12 August 2018.
- "archive.li is 100% blocked in China". Great Fire Analyzer. 12 August 2018. Archived from the original on 12 August 2018.
- "archive.fo is 100% blocked in China". Great Fire Analyzer. 12 August 2018. Archived from the original on 12 August 2018.
- Lapintie, Lassi (22 July 2015). "Suomalaisilta estettiin haktivistien suosimalla verkkosivulla käynti" [Finns' access to website used by hacktivists blocked]. Iltalehti (in Finnish). Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Elistratov, Vladimir (29 January 2016). "Роскомнадзор заблокировал сервис archive..., хранящий копии веб-сайтов". TJournal (in Russian). Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Cushing, Tim (4 February 2016). "Russia Blocks Another Archive Site Because It Might Contain Old Pages About Drugs". Techdirt. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Example snapshot history on archive.is".
- "Example: Page saved from Web Archive to Archive.is". Archived from the original on 2013-05-17.
- For example, the string insite: https://en.wikipedia.org "World Cup" returns the "World+Cup"/ related snapshots
- "Some Frequently Asked Question". archive.is blog. Retrieved Nov 12, 2018.
- "Example of dynamic list retrieved by Worldcat".