Walker in 2019
|No. 54 – Indianapolis Colts|
|Born:||August 8, 1995|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||230 lb (104 kg)|
|High school:||Monsignor Edward Pace|
(Miami Gardens, Florida)
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 5 / Pick: 161|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 6, 2020|
Anthony Laron Walker Jr. (born August 8, 1995) is an American football linebacker for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Northwestern and was drafted by the Colts in the fifth round of the 2017 NFL Draft.
Walker first saw action in his redshirt freshman season when Collin Ellis went down with a series of injuries. In his first career game, Walker returned an interception for a touchdown against Penn State that capped a Northwestern win. In his first full season as a starter, Walker found success as he recorded 122 tackles to lead the team and 20.5 tackles for loss which was fourth in the nation. For his performance that season, Walker received All-American recognition from the AP and Sports Illustrated as well as Consensus First-Team All Big 10 honors. On November 29, 2016, Walker was named Second Team All-Big Ten.
|Anthony Walker's NFL Combine Workout|
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yard split||20-yard split||20-yard shuttle||Three-cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump||Bench press|
|6 ft 0 5⁄8 in
|30 3⁄8 in
|9 1⁄2 in
|4.65 s||1.57 s||2.67 s||4.34 s||7.23 s||30 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 8 in
|All values from NFL Scouting Combine|
|Colts draft Anthony Walker 161st overall|
Walker missed organized team activities due to Northwestern's quarters schedule and the league's rules on rookies being unable to join their team until their school's final semester had concluded. Upon entering training camp, Walker competed to be a starting inside linebacker against Sean Spence, Antonio Morrison, Jon Bostic, and Edwin Jackson. Head coach Chuck Pagano named Walker a backup inside linebacker to begin the regular season, behind Jon Bostic and Antonio Morrison.
He made his professional regular season debut in the Indianapolis Colts' season-opener at the Los Angeles Rams, but exited in the second quarter of their 46–9 loss after sustaining a hamstring injury. His hamstring injury sidelined him for the next three games (Weeks 2–4). In Week 5, he aggravated his hamstring injury during the third quarter of a 26–23 win against the San Francisco 49ers and was inactive for the next three games (Weeks 6–8). On December 29, 2017, Walker earned his first start after Jon Bostic was ruled inactive due to an injury. He collected a season-high nine combined tackles in the Colts' 23–16 loss at the Baltimore Ravens in Week 16. On December 31, 2017, the Indianapolis Colts fired head coach Chuck Pagano after the Colts finished 4–12 in 2017. He finished his rookie season in 2017 with 22 combined tackles (11 solo) in ten games and two starts.
On February 11, 2018, the Indianapolis Colts hired former Philadelphia Eagles' offensive coordinator Frank Reich as their new head coach. Defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus opted to change the base 3-4 defense and implemented a base 4-3 defense. Walker entered training camp slated as the starting middle linebacker, but saw competition from Najee Goode. On July 31, 2018, it was reported that Walker had injured his groin in the first week of training camp and was sidelined for the remainder of training camp and all four preseason games. Head coach Frank Reich named Walker the starting middle linebacker to start the regular season in 2018, alongside outside linebackers Najee Goode and rookie Darius Leonard.
On September 23, 2018, Walker recorded nine combined tackles and made his first career interception off a pass by Eagles' quarterback Carson Wentz during a 20–16 loss at the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 2.
In Week 13 against the Tennessee Titans, Walker recorded a team high 12 tackles and forced a fumble on running back Derrick Henry on the first play of the game which was recovered by teammate Malik Hooker in the 31–17 loss. In Week 16 against the Carolina Panthers, Walker recorded 10 tackles, sacked rookie quarterback Will Grier once, and intercepted a pass thrown by Grier during the 38–6 win. In Week 17 against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Walker recorded a team high 16 tackles during the 38–20 loss.
- "Anthony Walker Jr. Bio". NorthWestern University Football - Official Website.
- "Anthony Walker, Northwestern, Inside Linebacker". 247 Sports. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Anthony Walker College Stats". College Football at Sorts-Reference.com. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "2016 Big Ten Individual Award Winners" (PDF). www.grfx.cstv.com. Big Ten Conference. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Anthony Walker Jr. Draft Profile". NFL.com. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- Bowen, Kevin (April 29, 2017). "Colts Draft Northwestern Linebacker Anthony Walker, Jr. In Round Five". Colts.com. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Anthony Walker Jr. contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Hickey, Kevin (July 17, 2017). "Bleacher Report: Sean Spence, Anthony Walker should start at ILB". coltswire.usatoday.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Analyzing the Indianapolis Colts' Inside Linebacker Position Battle". indianasportscoverage.com. July 27, 2017. Archived from the original on October 2, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "First Look at the 2017 Colts Regular Season Depth Chart". stampedeblue.com. September 5, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Hickey, Kevin (September 10, 2017). "Colts' Anthony Walker (hamstring) out vs. Rams". coltswire.usatoday.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Colts' Anthony Walker Jr.: Leaves game with hamstring injury". cbssports.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Anthony Walker Jr. (2017)". NFL.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Indianapolis Colts fire Chuck Pagano after 4-12 year". NFL.com. December 31, 2017. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Anthony Walker Jr. (career)". NFL.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Indianapolis Colts hire Frank Reich to be next coach". NFL.com. February 11, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Predicting Who Will Start at Linebacker for the Indianapolis Colts". indianasportscoverage.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "After Missing Most Of Training Camp, Anthony Walker 'Full-Go' For Week 1". Colts.com. September 3, 2018. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Andrew Walker (September 4, 2018). "Colts Release First Unofficial Depth Chart Of 2018 Regular Season". Colts.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Anthony Walker Jr. (2018)". NFL.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Blocked field goal helps Titans turn table with win at Indy". www.espn.com. December 1, 2019. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- "Hines' long returns help send Colts past Carolina 38-6". www.espn.com. Associated Press. December 22, 2019. Retrieved December 22, 2019.
- "Minshew, Jaguars close out season with 38-20 win over Colts". www.espn.com. Associated Press. December 29, 2019. Retrieved December 29, 2019.
- "Indianapolis Colts at Cleveland Browns - October 11th, 2020". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved October 11, 2020.