Lee at the 2011 Australian Commercial Radio Awards
|Birth name||Andrew Thomas Lee|
|Born||24 May 1981|
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Andy Lee is the middle child of Michael and Margaret Lee. Lee has a sister, Alex Miles, who writes pantomimes and stars in the comedy show Porky Pies. He also has an older brother, Cameron, with whom Lee started the band Zoophyte.
Lee attended Balwyn Primary School and Camberwell Grammar School. He was also a member of the Scouting Movement, performing in Camberwell Showtime and Melbourne Gang Show. He then went on to study Commerce at the University of Melbourne, where he met comedic partner Hamish Blake in 2001.
In 2006, Lee was announced as Cleo's Bachelor of the Year.
In January 2015, it was announced that Lee was dating model and PR Graduate, Rebecca Harding. Their break-up was confirmed by Lee in July 2016. They were reported to have reconciled a few months later.
Hamish & Andy
Lee and Blake teamed with Ryan Shelton and several others to create a show called Radio Karate for RMIT University's student television company RMITV, on community-access television station Channel 31. They also trained with, and appeared on, RMIT's student radio station SYN, and subsequently had a few spot projects on FOX FM.
Lee and Blake then hosted a comedy programme on Australia's Seven Network, The Hamish and Andy Show, which was shortly cancelled after bad ratings. Critics acknowledged their talent, but panned the show as poorly executed. Since this show, Lee and Blake have almost always performed together. They are now consistently referred to as Hamish & Andy.
Blake and Lee hosted the national (Hit Network) drive-time program Hamish & Andy (radio show) that ran between 4 pm and 6 pm, Monday to Friday. In 2011, the program was cut back to a weekly Friday show due to wanting to pursue other opportunities. The radio show is considered successful, scoring top positions in the radio ratings in the crucial Sydney and Melbourne markets, as well as Perth. Their audience share is around 20%, which is the highest ever recorded for a national FM show in Australia.
Lee won the first series of Joker Poker, a celebrity poker show in which contestants win money for charity. He appeared on the Network Ten program Australia's Brainiest Comedian.
On 10 May 2010, Andy and Hamish appeared on the TV show Good News Week.
In 2011 the duo made a deal with Channel Nine, since they have created a ten-part series called Gap Year: New York. In 2012, the comedy duo created a second Gap Year season, titled Hamish and Andy's: Euro Gap Year, in which the two travelled throughout Europe leading up to the 2012 London Olympic Games. In 2013, they continued the Gap Year series, creating a third season titled, Hamish and Andy's: Asia Gap Year.
In 2015, Lee formed Coolboys and the Frontman with comedic partner Hamish Blake and producer Jack Post.
Lee released an educational times table CD in 2003, The Sing Along Times Table CD Book. The CD was re-discovered in 2005/2006 after an "alert listener" informed Blake, and teased Lee about it on their radio show.
Awards and nominations
|2006||Cleo Bachelor of the Year||Cleo Bachelor of the Year||Won|||
|2013||Logie Awards||Most Popular Personality on TV||Nominated|||
- Money, Lawrence (23 August 2015). "Radio prankster Andy Lee's mum gets thumbs up on Twitter". The Age.
- "Andy Lee bachelor of the year". news.com.au.
- "Andy Lee and Megan Gale split up". The Sydney Morning Herald. 15 December 2010.
- Epstein, Jackie (6 December 2016). "Andy Lee back with ex-girlfriend". Herald Sun. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "Hamish & Andy". www.theage.com.au.
- "The Spy Report: Hamish and Andy quitting daily radio show". Archived from the original on 4 November 2010.
- "Southern Cross Austereo - Absolutely Engaging" (PDF). www.austereo.com.au.
- "Who's Who pack now boasts Siddle, Hamish and Andy and the Masterchef judges". heraldsun.com.au. 9 December 2010.
- Moran, Jonathon (15 April 2007). "Andy Shows Another Side | thetelegraph.com.au". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Hamish & Andy: Hamish & Andy - Andy's Timetable Sing-A-Long CD!". handa.libsyn.com. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "Andy lee". TV Week Logie Awards 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
| Cleo Bachelor of the Year