June 8, 1986 |
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||204 lb (93 kg; 14 st 8 lb)|
Los Angeles Kings
|NHL Draft||71st overall, 2004
Andrej Sekera (born June 8, 1986) is a Slovak professional ice hockey player currently playing for the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League (NHL). A defenseman, he was drafted in the third round, 71st overall, by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
After playing one season in the Slovak Extraliga for Dukla Trenčín, Sekera came to North America. He played two seasons with the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), where in the 2005–06 season, he won the Max Kaminsky Trophy as the League's most outstanding defenceman.
On July 14, 2006, Sekera signed a three-year contract with the Buffalo Sabres. He made his professional debut with the Sabres' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Rochester Americans, in the 2006–07 season. He also appeared in two NHL games with the Sabres early in the season.
On July 19, 2011, Sekera signed a four-year contract extension with the Sabres worth $11 million and in doing so, avoided salary arbitration.
During the 2012–13 NHL lockout, which cancelled the majority of the first half of the 2012–13 season, Sekera played in his native Slovakia with Slovan Bratislava of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He returned, however, to the Sabres following the return of NHL play in January 2013.
On June 30, 2013, during the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Sekera was traded by the Sabres to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for the team's second-round draft pick (#35 overall) and defenseman Jamie McBain.
Los Angeles Kings
In the midst of the 2014–15 season, in the last year of contract before approaching unrestricted free agency, and with the Hurricanes out of playoff contention, on February 25, 2015, Sekera was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a conditional first-round pick and defensive prospect Roland McKeown.
On July 1, 2015, the Edmonton Oilers signed Sekera to a six-year, $33 million contract. In his first season with the club, Sekera recorded 6 goals and 30 points in a career-high 81 games. During the 2017 Stanley Cup playoffs, Sekera suffered a torn ACL. It was announced he would miss six-to-nine months. Sekera made his 2017-18 NHL season debut on December 22 in a 3-2 win over the St. Louis Blues.
Regular season and playoffs
|2004–05||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||52||7||21||28||18||6||0||4||4||4|
|2005–06||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||51||21||34||55||54||11||5||8||13||9|
|2014–15||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||16||1||3||4||6||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|First All-Star Team||2006|
|Max Kaminsky Trophy||2006|
- "Sabres re-sign Sekera, Ellis". The Sports Network. 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- "Hurricanes trade McBain, pick to Sabres for Sekera". The Sports Network. 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- "Kings acquire Sekera from Hurricanes". The Sports Network. 2015-02-25. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "Oilers agree to terms with Andrej Sekera". Edmonton Oilers. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "Oilers' Andrej Sekera out 6-9 months with torn ACL". sportsnet.ca. May 16, 2017. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Campbell, Tim (December 22, 2017). "Sekera return provides boost on, off ice for Oilers". NHL.com. Retrieved February 24, 2018.
- Andrej Sekera career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Andrej Sekera player profile at NHL.com
|Awards and achievements|
|Winner of the Max Kaminsky Trophy