Anand Rajaraman is a Web and technology entrepreneur. He is the co-founder of Cambrian Ventures and Kosmix. Rajaraman also co-founded former Junglee Corp. and played a significant role at Amazon.com in the late 1990s.
Personal life and education
Together with four other engineers, Rajaraman founded Junglee Corp. in 1996. Junglee Corp. pioneered Internet comparison shopping. Junglee Corp. was acquired by Amazon.com Inc. in August 1998 for 1.6 million shares of stock valued at $250 million. Rajaraman went on to become Director of Technology at Amazon.com, where he was responsible for technology strategy. He helped launch the transformation of Amazon.com from a retailer into a retail platform, enabling third-party retailers to sell on Amazon.com's website. Third-party transactions now account for almost 25% of all US transactions, and represent Amazon's fastest-growing and most profitable business segment. Rajaraman also was an inventor of the concept underlying Amazon.com’s Mechanical Turk.
Rajaraman and his business partner, Venky Harinarayan, co-founded Cambrian Ventures, an early stage VC fund, in 2000. Cambrian went on to back several companies later acquired by Google. Cambrian has funded companies like Mobissimo, Aster Data Systems and TheFind.com. In 2005, the business partners co-founded Kosmix, a website which organizes the Internet by topic. In April 2011, Kosmix was acquired by Walmart.
In addition to acting as a consulting assistant professor in the Computer Science Department at Stanford University, Rajaraman is a special partner to NeoTribe Ventures and publishes a blog called Datawocky, on which he discusses data mining techniques in search, social media, and advertising.
- Walter, Mark. "Junglee Tries to Tame the Data Jungle" xml.com. 5 August 1998. Retrieved on 1 August 2009.
- "Amazon.com buys Junglee, PlanetAll" Silicon Valley/ San Jose Business Journal. 5 August 1998. Retrieved on 20 July 2009.
-  Cambrian Ventures. Retrieved 31 July 2009.
- Ranganathan, Chandra and NS Ramnath. "Men Who Spurn Google create Kosmix" The Economic Times. 30 October 2007. Retrieved on 17 March 2009.
- "Kosmix" CrunchBase. Retrieved 24 March 2009.
- "Term Sheet - 17 February 2017". Fortune. 17 February 2017. Retrieved 14 June 2017.