An Cosantóir (Irish pronunciation: [an̪ˠ ˈkɔsˠan̪ˠt̪ˠoːrʲ], meaning "The Defender") is the official magazine of the Irish Defence Forces. It was originally established in December 1940 by Colonel Michael Joe Costello as a means of disseminating training material among the Local Security Force (LSF), the forerunner to the Army Reserve, but later became the newspaper of Costello's First Division.
In its current form, An Cosantóir is a 40-page colour A4 size publication, issued 10 times per year. The magazine carries information on various elements of the Irish Defence Forces. Topics cover different aspects of military life, including training, overseas operations, new equipment, personalities, events, international military affairs, humanitarian work, unit activities, and military history.
An Cosantóir is published by the Public Relations Section, Defence Forces Headquarters (DFHQ) with offices at Ceannt Barracks in the Curragh Camp. Since June 2011, the editor-in-chief is Sergeant Wayne Fitzgerald.
Back issues of An Cosantóir dating back to 1940 are available online.
- "An Cosantóir - The Defence Forces Magazine". Defence Forces Ireland. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "The Official Magazine of the Defence Forces". An Cosantóir. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "An Cosantóir 1916 Commemorative Issue". KilmainhamTales.ie. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Meet The Team". An Cosantóir. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "An Cosantóir wins the European Military Press Association's 'Best Article 2013' award". European Military Press Association. 31 December 2013.
- "About Us". An Cosantóir. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "An Cosantóir Magazine - The Defence Forces Magazine". MediaStreet.ie. 30 October 2016.
- "Back Issues". An Cosantóir. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
|This military magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.