Ames Township, Athens County, Ohio
Along State Route 550 west of Amesville
Location of Ames Township in Athens County
|• Total||37.9 sq mi (98.2 km2)|
|• Land||37.7 sq mi (97.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||646 ft (197 m)|
|• Density||31/sq mi (12.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085749|
Ames Township is one of the fourteen townships of Athens County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 1,183 people in the township, 1,029 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Homer Township, Morgan County - north
- Marion Township, Morgan County - northeast corner
- Bern Township - east
- Rome Township - southeast corner
- Canaan Township - south
- Athens Township - southwest corner
- Dover Township - west
- Trimble Township - northwest corner
The village of Amesville is located in eastern Ames Township.
Name and history
Ames Township was organized in 1802.
It is the only Ames Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ames township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- History of Hocking Valley, Ohio. Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883. pp. 494.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.