Stadtteil of Clausthal-Zellerfeld
Saint Nicholas Church
|• Total||4.66 km2 (1.80 sq mi)|
|Elevation||460 m (1,510 ft)|
|• Density||380/km2 (980/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
Altenau is a old mining town. First references about the town cames out in 1227 and later in 1298 and 1311. Also in 1525 the first settler comes to Altenau and found a shooting club to protect thermself of attacs from local bendits. In 1532 you will find the first mining at the area of Altenau, later in 1540 and 1570 the minings Schatzkammer and Rose grow up. At the year 1579 Altenau get the first Preaster. At this Time, Altenau was a Village with 20 Houses. In 1588 the first church was build, but there get broke down in 1669 to make the today Saint Nicolai Church. Later in 1617 Altenau get citylaw and grow up. The local mines end up in 1800, the smelter from 1690 ended in 1911. The first Tourism starts at the same Time. In the 1970's the holiday residence Glockenberg was build. Today you will find in Altenau many Hotels,Shops,Restaurants,a Brewery from 1617, the Swimminghall from 2008 and the biggest Park of Herbs and Spices (Kräuterpark).
- Saint Nicholas Church, a Protestant wooden church with three naves, built in 1670
- The modern Catholic Saint Oliver Church of Altenau, built in 1976
- Park of Herbs and Spices
- Downtown with manywooden Houses from the area of the 17th.century.
- Brewery from 1617
- The former railway station of Altenau, a wooden building dating from 1914
2006 local elections:
- Niedersächsisches Landesamt für Statistik. "Bevölkerungsfortschreibung" (in German).
- Josef Walz: Der Harz, p.83. Köln 1995
- Evert Heusinkveld: Die Innerstetalbahn Langelsheim - Altenau, p.89. Nordhorn 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Altenau.|