Tolman in 2014
Allison Cara Tolman
November 18, 1981
Harris County, Texas, U.S.
|Alma mater||Baylor University (BFA)|
Allison Cara Tolman (born November 18, 1981) is an American actress. She is best known for her role as Molly Solverson in the first season of the FX television series Fargo, earning Emmy and Golden Globe nominations.
Tolman was born in Harris County, Texas, the daughter of Valerie (Clohecy) and Davis Nichols Tolman. Her family moved to England when she was a few months old and stayed until she was four years old. She spent the next five years in Oklahoma and West Texas, before moving to Sugar Land, Texas. She started taking acting classes when she was 10 years old at the Fort Bend Community Theatre. She attended Clements High School, graduating in 2000.
She graduated from Baylor University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in theatrical performance. After college, she moved to Dallas, where she was one of the founding members of Second Thought Theatre.
In 2014, Tolman starred in the first season of the FX black comedy crime series Fargo. Inspired by the classic 1996 Coen brothers film of the same name, Fargo starred veteran actors Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman and Bob Odenkirk. Tolman received accolades for her performance as Minnesota police officer Molly Solverson, with Vanity Fair writing that she "calmly and assuredly stole the entire show". For her role, she won the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Movie/Miniseries and received Best Actress nominations at the Emmy Awards and for the Golden Globes.
The same year, it was also announced Tolman would have a two-episode guest role on The Mindy Project as Abby Berman, a romance novelist. In 2015, she had a supporting role in Michael Dougherty's comedy horror film Krampus, in which she co-starred with Adam Scott, David Koechner, Emjay Anthony, and Stefania Owen.
Following her breakout role on Fargo, Tolman declined several supporting parts as mothers, wives and best friends, looking for a more unusual role. In 2017, Tolman starred in ABC's Downward Dog. In the series based on the Animal Inc. web series, Tolman's character has a dog, Martin, who communicates with the TV audience. The series was filmed in Pittsburgh. It was canceled on June 23, 2017.
|2009||A Thousand Cocktails Later||Mandy||Short film|
|2015||Addicted to Fresno||Ruby|
|2017||The House||Dawn Mayweather|
|2018||The Sisters Brothers||Girl Mayfield Saloon|
|2020||The Last Shift||Post-production|
|2006||Prison Break||Nurse||Episode: "Scan"|
|2008||Sordid Lives: The Series||Tink||4 episodes|
|2014–2015||Fargo||Deputy Molly Solverson||11 episodes|
|2014||The Mindy Project||Abby Berman||2 episodes|
|2014||Hello Ladies||Kate||Television film|
|2015||Archer||Edie Poovey (voice)||Episode: "Edie's Wedding"|
|2015||Comedy Bang! Bang!||Ellen||Episode: "Joseph Gordon-Levitt Wears a Heart T-Shirt and Blue Jeans"|
|2015||Review||Marissa||Episode: "Brawl; Blackmail; Glory Hole"|
|2016||Mad Dogs||Rochelle||3 episodes|
|2016–2018||Drunk History||Various||2 episodes|
|2017||Downward Dog||Nan||Lead role (8 episodes)|
|2017–2019||I'm Sorry||Jennifer||4 episodes|
|2017||Mosaic||Amy Lambson||3 episodes|
|2017–2018||Me, Myself & I||Sarah||2 episodes|
|2018||Brooklyn Nine-Nine||Captain Olivia Crawford||2 episodes|
|2018–Present||Good Girls||Mary Pat||Recurring Role (11 episodes)|
|2018||Castle Rock||Bridget Strand||2 episodes|
|2019||The Twilight Zone||Maura McGowan||Episode: "The Wunderkind"|
|2019–present||Emergence||Jo Evans||Series regular|
- Date of birth per familysearch.org; accessed June 19, 2014.
- Nussbaum, Emily (June 23, 2014). "SNOWBOUND: The Minnesota noir of Fargo". The New Yorker.
- "Person Details for Allison Cara Tolman, "Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997" — FamilySearch.org". Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Maines, Don (April 11, 2014). "Clements grad stars in 'Fargo'". Houston Chronicle.
- Thomas, Mike (April 14, 2014). "'Fargo' the place to be for Chicago's Allison Tolman". Chicago Sun Times. Archived from the original on 2014-04-19. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- Robinson, Joanna (May 17, 2017). "How Fargo Alum Allison Tolman "Tricked" Hollywood into Thinking She Was an Ingenue". Vanity Fair. Retrieved October 28, 2017.
- Eakin, Marah. "The Mindy Project recruits Shonda Rhimes and Fargo's Allison Tolman". The A.V. Club. The A.V. Club. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- La Vigna, Christopher. "Actors to Lead Dougherty's "KRAMPUS" Flick". The A.V. Club. Fangoria. Archived from the original on 7 March 2015. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Owen, Rob (2015-11-06). "TV Q&A: 'The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,' 'The Graham Norton Show' and closed captioning". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2015-11-06.
- Holloway, Daniel (2017-06-23). "'Downward Dog' Canceled by ABC". Variety. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Fallon, Kevin (September 24, 2019). "Allison Tolman Is Writing Her Own Rules for TV Stardom". The Daily Beast. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- Metz, Nina (April 28, 2014). "Allison Tolman is breakout star on Fargo on FX". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- Schwindt, Oriana (April 16, 2014). "Fargo Star Allison Tolman Will Thaw Your Icy Heart". TV Guide.
- Petski, Denise (December 3, 2018). "'The Twilight Zone': John Cho, Allison Tolman & Jacob Tremblay To Star In Episode Of CBS All Access Reboot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 3, 2018.