Nicholas at the official announcement of the 2009 Solheim Cup team
|Full name||Alison Nicholas|
|Born||6 March 1962|
|Height||1.52 m (5 ft 0 in)|
|Former tour(s)||Ladies European Tour (joined 1984)|
LPGA Tour (joined 1989)
|Number of wins by tour|
|Ladies European Tour||12 (10th all-time)|
|Best results in LPGA major championships|
|ANA Inspiration||T16: 1995|
|Women's PGA C'ship||T23: 2000|
|U.S. Women's Open||Won: 1997|
|du Maurier Classic||CUT: 1997|
|Women's British Open||28th: 2004|
|Achievements and awards|
Alison Nicholas, professional golfer.(born 6 March 1962) is an English
Nicholas was born in Gibraltar. She was educated at the School of St Mary and St Anne (now Abbots Bromley School for Girls). She enjoyed a very successful amateur career in England. She started playing golf at the age of 17 and won the 1982 and 1983 Northern Girls Amateur Open. Nicholas was the 1983 British Amateur Stroke Play champion. In 1983, Nicholas won the Yorkshire Ladies County Championship.
At her retirement at the end of the 2004 season, Nicholas had won 12 events on the Ladies European Tour. She topped the European Tour Order of Merit in 1997 and finished in the top-10 15 times in 16 seasons between 1985 and 2000. She also won four times on the LPGA Tour, between 1995 and 1999, including winning the U.S. Women's Open in 1997. In 1992, she won both the Western Australian Open and the Malaysian Open.
She won the 1991 Vivien Saunders Trophy for lowest stroke average (71.71). In 1997, she became the Sunday Times Sportswomen of the Year, was awarded The Association of Golf Writers Trophy and was voted LET Players' Player of the Year, 1997 Evening Mail Sports Personality of the Year and 1997 Midlands Sports Personality of the Year.
Nicholas was a member of the European Solheim Cup team in 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998 and 2000 forming a formidable partnership with Laura Davies. She was Vice Captain in 2003. In 2007, Nicholas was the captain for the 2009 and 2011 European Solheim Cup teams.
Professional wins (18)
LPGA Tour wins (4)
|LPGA Tour major championships (1)|
|Other LPGA Tour (3)|
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||28 May 1995||LPGA Corning Classic||−13 (70-67-66-72=275)||3 strokes||Barb Mucha|
|2||10 Sep 1995||Ping-AT&T Wireless Services LPGA Golf Championship||−9 (66-73-68=207)||3 strokes||Kelly Robbins|
|3||13 Jul 1997||U.S. Women's Open||−10 (70-66-67-71=274)||1 stroke||Nancy Lopez|
|4||20 Feb 1999||Sunrise Hawaiian Ladies Open||−7 (70-66-73=209)||1 stroke|| Annette DeLuca|
LPGA Tour playoff record (0–1)
|1||1993||LPGA Corning Classic||Kelly Robbins||Lost to par on first extra hole|
Ladies European Tour wins (12)
- 1987 (2) Weetabix Women's British Open, Laing Charity Classic
- 1988 (3) British Olivetti Tournament, Variety Club Charity Classic, James Capel Guernsey Open
- 1989 (3) Lufthansa Ladies' German Open, Gislaved Open, Qualitair Classic
- 1990 (1) Variety Club Celebrity Classic
- 1992 (1) AGF Ladies' Open de Paris
- 1995 (1) Payne & Gunter Scottish Open
- 1996 (1) Guardian Irish Open
Other wins (2)
- 1992 Western Australian Open, Malaysian Open
|1997||U.S. Women's Open||−10 (70-66-67-71=274)||1 stroke||Nancy Lopez|
- Solheim Cup (representing Europe): 1990, 1992 (winners), 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000 (winners)
- Handa Cup (representing World team): 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (tie), 2013 (winners), 2014
Solheim Cup record
|1990||3||1–2–0||0–1–0 lost to N. Lopez 6&4||1–0–0 won w/L. Davies 2&1||0–1–0 lost w/L. Davies 4&3||1||33.3%|
|1992||3||2–1–0||0–1–0 lost to J. Inkster 3&2||1–0–0 won w/L. Davies 1up||1–0–0 won w/L. Davies 1up||2||66.7%|
|1994||3||2–1–0||1–0–0 def P. Sheehan 3&2||1–0–0 won w/L.Davies 2&1||0–1–0 lost w/L.Davies 2&1||2||66.7%|
|1996||3||0–1–2||0–0–1 halved w/ K. Robbins||0–1–0 lost w/L. Davies 1dn||0–0–1 halved w/H. Alfredsson||1||33.3%|
|1998||2||0–2–0||0–1–0 lost to T. Green 1dn||0–1–0 lost w/H. Alfredsson 3&1||0||0%|
|2000||4||2–1–1||0–0–1 halved w/S. Steinhauer||1–1–0 won w/L. Davies 4&3, lost w/L.Davies 6&5||1–0–0 won w/H. Alfredsson 3&2||2.5||62.5%|
Notes and references
- Bethan Cutler (5 November 2007). "Nicholas Solheim Cup Captain for Europe". LET (Ladies European Tour). Archived from the original on 25 May 2008. Retrieved 20 August 2008.
- Golf Observer, 1995 Corning Classic Golfstats Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Golf Observer, 1995 Ping Championship Golfstats Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 25 September 2011.