She earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Kerala (1964) and a doctorate in medicine from the University of Delhi (1971). She completed her internship at the Lady Harding Medical College Hospital in New Delhi in 1970-71 and moved to Rotary at the Women's College Hospital in Toronto and completed her residence (1973–74) at the Jewish General Hospital and the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal in 1978.
Benjamin holds a certificate in obstetrics and gynecology from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (1977) and a certificate from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Quebec. She became a Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1981.
A consultant with Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital in Ontario from 1978 to 1979, Benjamin joined the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal in 1979. She belongs to the perinatal unit and is associate professor at McGill University. Benjamin became director of the Royal Victoria Hospital's Antenatal Day Center in 1979. She focuses on high-risk pregnancies and works with a multidisciplinary team that supports treatment that avoids hospitalization, so that patients can remain with their families - a first in North America.
- Received Chevalier de l'ordre national du Quebec (January 1993)
- Received Distinguished Indo-Canadian award (October 2000)
- Alice Benjamin Award for Excellence in Obstetrics established by the Alexander family and awarded to McGill University residents yearly
- Molson Award for Educational Excellence created in honour of Dr. Benjamin and awarded to McGill residents yearly
- "Alice Benjamin – Ordre national du Québec". Ordre-national.gouv.qc.ca. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- "Doctors sue MUHC over delivery quotas". Cbc.ca. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- "MUHC being sued by obstetricians and gynecologists for quotas limiting deliveries". Globalnews.ca. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- "Alice Benjamin, MD FRCS(C) FACS , - Obstetrics and Gynecology - McGill University". Mcgill.ca. Retrieved 31 July 2017.