The Alexandra ward covered a large area of Penarth including the town centre and the more affluent southern part. Five county councillors were elected from the ward to the Vale of Glamorgan Council. For elections to Penarth Town Council it was divided into the Plymouth and St Augustine's community wards.
|Conservative||A. Ernest *||2,098|
|Conservative||D. Leddington *||1,993|
|Conservative||R. Parsons *||1,715|
|Ind. Conservative||H. Reynolds *||927|
|Plaid Cymru||S. Fford||860|
|Ind. Conservative||T. Waugh *||774|
|Plaid Cymru||A. Packer||167|
|Plaid Cymru||R. Maccarthy||154|
* existing councillor, standing for re-election
At the 1995 county elections to the new Vale of Glamorgan Council unitary authority, Alexandra elected five Labour Party councillors, in what the South Wales Echo described as a "rout". There were no Conservative councillors left in Penarth.
|Labour||(Ms) L. J. Barrett||2,059|
|Labour||(Ms) G. Emmerson||1,732|
|Conservative||A. Ernest o||1,580|
|Conservative||A. Wickes o||1,357|
|Conservative||C. Osborne o||1,348|
|Conservative||(Ms) D. Turner||1,334|
|Conservative||A. Williams o||1,282|
|Plaid Cymru||D. Harries||544|
|Plaid Cymru||(Ms) M. Harries||515|
o existing councillor, elected in 1991 to the VoG borough council, standing for re-election
Following The County Borough of The Vale of Glamorgan (Electoral Changes) Order 2002 Alexandra was divided into two, with the existing town wards of Plymouth and St Augustine's becoming county wards electing two councillors each to the county council. The change was effective from October 2003 for preliminary electoral proceedings but fully effective at the May 2004 Vale of Glamorgan Council elections.
In 2017 town councillors asked South Wales Police why they were still using the Alexandra ward as an area of Penarth for their crime statistics. The police blamed this on an overseas software update.
- "Vale of Glamorgan Welsh District Council Election Results 1973-1991" (PDF). The Elections Centre (Plymouth University). Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- Peter Collins (5 May 1995). "Vale of Glamorgan - Disaster for Tories". South Wales Echo. p. 8.
- "Vale of Glamorgan Council Election Results 1995-2012" (PDF). The Elections Centre (Plymouth University). Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- The County Borough of The Vale of Glamorgan (Electoral Changes) Order 2002 (PDF). legislation.gov.uk. Statutory Instruments. 6 December 2002. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Penarth Councillors Criticise Police On Latest Crime Figures". Penarth Daily News. 23 June 2017. Retrieved 7 May 2018.