Professor Sir Alexander Fred (Alex) Markham, born 1950, is Professor of Medicine at the University of Leeds, Director of the Molecular Medicine Institute at St James's University Hospital, and a former Chief Executive of Cancer Research UK.
Markham graduated from the University of Birmingham with a BSc in Chemistry in 1971 and a PhD, also in Chemistry, in 1974. He qualified in Medicine in 1985 at the Universities of London and Oxford.
Markham has been one of the pioneers of molecular genetics research in the UK from the late 1980s. His work has included the development of DNA Fingerprinting, work which received the Queen's Award for Technological Achievement in 1990. He has been Professor of Medicine at the University of Leeds since 1993.
Markham serves on a number of Advisory Panels for the Medical Research Council and the Department of Health. He is Chairman of the Office for the Strategic Coordination of Health Research (OSCHR) Translational Medicine Board.
Markham's wife Lisa, Lady Markham, known as Dr Lisa Brown, is an expert biochemist and a member of the British Toxicology Society. She works as a Chartered Patent Attorney. The couple live in Leeds with their children Grace and Alexander 'Mini' Markham, formerly treasurer of UoBARFC.
He has been awarded honorary degrees from:
- University of Surrey
- University of Stirling (D.Univ) on 7 November 2008 
- University of Leeds (D.Sc) in 2006 
- University of Brighton (MD) in Summer 2012 
- University of Birmingham (D.Univ) in 2013 
Professor Markham sits on the boards of many charities, including:
- NHS, biography
- Lisa Markham http://www.hgf.com/profile.asp?id=12 Archived 2010-10-13 at the Wayback Machine
- National Institute for Health Research http://www.nihr.ac.uk/files/pdfs/prof_sir_alex_markham_biography.pdf Archived 2010-02-17 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived item". Archived from the original on 2015-04-04. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- Arthritis Research UK http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/about-us/how-we-are-managed/our-trustees/professor-sir-alex-markham.aspx
- Foulkes Foundation http://www.foulkes-foundation.org/the-trustees/ Archived 2013-08-08 at the Wayback Machine