Alexander Archdale (26 November 1905 – 13 May 1986) was a British actor. He had a very long career in both the theatre and in film, stretching from the 1930s to the 1980s. He spent the latter part of his life and career in Australia.
In 1937 he acted in Jeffrey Dell's play Night Alone at the Embassy Theatre in London, England with Richard Bird, Julian Somers, and Anna Konstam in the cast. In the same year he acted in J. B. Priestley's play Time and the Conways at the Duchess Theatre in London, with Jean Forbes-Robertson, Raymond Huntley, Barbara Everest, Mervyn Johns, Helen Horsey, Eileen Erskine, Wilfred Babbage, Molly Rankin, Rosemary Scott, and Irene Hentschel in the cast.
He appeared in British films of the 1930s and 1940s, for instance Lucky Days and House of Darkness (with a young Laurence Harvey) before going on to appear in TV series such as Ivanhoe, No Hiding Place and Emergency Ward 10.
He played the part of retired Professor B. C. Simmonds in the 1981 Australian thriller The Killing of Angel Street, which won an Honourable Mention at the Berlin International Film Festival in 1982.
His last credited appearance was in Runaway Island, which was set in 1830s Sydney.
He died on 13 May 1986 at the age of 80 in Sydney.
- Lucky Days (1935)
- House of Darkness (1948)
- Floodtide (1949) (as 2nd. Director)
- His Majesty O'Keefe (1954)
- The Scapegoat (1959)
- Marriage of Convenience (1960)
- Village of the Damned (1960)
- The Adventures of Barry McKenzie (1972)
- The Night the Prowler (1978)
- Newsfront (1978)
- The Killing of Angel Street (1981)
- "Alexander Archdale".
- "Alexander Archdale - Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- McPherson, Ailsa. Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University – via Australian Dictionary of Biography.
- "Betty Archdale". 16 February 2000 – via www.theguardian.com.
- League, The Broadway. "The Wind and the Rain – Broadway Play – Original - IBDB". www.ibdb.com.
- "Production of Time and the Conways - Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- "Alexander Archdale". www.aveleyman.com.
- "Australian Television: Skippy: episode guide: series 1". www.australiantelevision.net.
- TV.com. "Alexander Archdale". TV.com.
- "Newsfront (1978)".
- "The Killing of Angel Street (1981)".
- "The Killing of Angel Street (1981) - Donald Crombie - Awards - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- Alexander Archdale at the Internet Movie Database
- Alexander Archdale at the Internet Broadway Database
- Photos of Alexander Archdale at Aveleyman
- A Who's who of Australian and New Zealand Film Actors: The Sound Era h
- Theatre Australia (un)limited: Australian Theatre Since the 1950s h
- The importance of Marian Street Theatre - images of Alexander Archdale http://www.savemariansttheatre.com/a-brief-history/