Alex van Warmerdam
|Occupation||writer, film director, actor|
Alex van Warmerdam (born 14 August 1952) is a Dutch screenwriter, film director, and actor. He is also a painter.
Life and career
Van Warmerdam was born in Haarlem, a city in the province of North Holland in the Netherlands. He was cofounder of the theatre group Hauser Orkater (which later became the musictheatre group Orkater). In 1980, he founded the theatre group De Mexicaanse Hond (The Mexican Dog), together with his brother Marc van Warmerdam. This is the name under which all the shows since 1989 have been released.
He made his first feature film in 1986: Abel. He plays parts in all of his own movies, except Grimm (film).
Alex van Warmerdam is married to Dutch actress Annet Malherbe, who plays parts in most of his films and mostly also functions as a casting director. Their son Mees is a musician and has performed in various shows by theatre group De Mexicaanse Hond.
Short films and TV films
- Adelbert (1977) (short film) (as an actor)
- Entree Brussels (1978) (short film) (as a writer)
- Striptease (1979) (short film) (as a writer)
- Zie De Mannen Vallen (1980) (TV film)
- Graniet (1982) (TV film)
- De Stedeling (1984) (short film)
|1986||Abel a.k.a. Voyeur|
|2009||The Last Days of Emma Blank|
|2015||Schneider vs. Bax|
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Alex van Warmerdam". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 13 December 2006. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Alex van Warmerdam". Graniet Film. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 13 December 2006. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Abel (Voyeur) at Rotten Tomatoes