Aldershot Buddhist Centre (also the Buddhist Community Centre UK (BCCUK)) is a Buddhist temple and community centre catering for the Buddhists of Aldershot in Hampshire and surrounding area. It is described as the United Kingdom's first Buddhist community centre.
With the influx of large numbers of Nepalis into the area in recent years giving Rushmoor the largest Buddhist community in the United Kingdom, a need for a temple and community centre to cater for their spiritual and secular needs was required. The Buddhist Community Centre UK was founded in 2007 by the founder and Chairman Mr Kaji Sherpa. The former Labour Exchange building (later the Social Club for Aldershot & District Traction Company Limited) beside the Recreation Ground on the High Street being empty, this was purchased and converted.
The centre and associated monastery were formally opened on 29 June 2015 by the 14th Dalai Lama who is also the centre's Patron. The visit to Aldershot of the Dalai Lama was greeted with protests by members of the Shugden Buddhist denomination who accused him of pursuing a policy of apartheid within the Buddhist community. Other noted Rinpoche to visit the centre include His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Yangsi, Phakchok Rinpoche, Sogyal Rinpoche, Chime Rinpoche, Lopön Tenzin Namdak, and Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche.
- Dalai Lama defies protesters to open Aldershot Buddhist centre - BBC News Online 29 June 2015
- Where are the most Buddhists in England and Wales? - The Buddhist Centre - 16 June 2015
- Ana-Maria Pascal (ed), Multiculturalism and the Convergence of Faith and Practical Wisdom in Modern Society, IGI Global (2017) - Google Books pg 38
- About the Centre - Buddhist Community Centre UK website
- - Dalai Lama's visit to Buddhist centre met with 'sectarian' protests - The Guardian 29 June 2018
- Khyentse Yangsi Rinpoche in France and Great Britain - Shechen Buddhist website
- Thieves steal £10,000 worth of donations from Aldershot Buddhist centre in distraction burglary - Surrey Advertiser 16 November 2018
- Buddhist community centre burgled in Aldershot - Asian Voice 28 November 2018
- Donations worth £10,000 stolen from Buddhist community centre - ITV News 17 November 2018