Alberto Iglesias at Film Music Festival in Cracow (2013)
|Birth name||Alberto Iglesias Fernández-Berridi|
|Born||21 October 1955|
San Sebastián, Spain
|Genres||Film score, classical|
Alberto Iglesias Fernández-Berridi (born 21 October 1955, in San Sebastián) is a Spanish composer. He was first noticed as a score composer for Spanish films, mostly from Pedro Almodóvar and Julio Medem. His career became more international with time and he eventually started to work also in Hollywood. Since then, he has been nominated three times for an Academy Award for his work in the films The Constant Gardener (2005), The Kite Runner (2007) and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011). His other film credits include soundtracks for Steven Soderbergh's Che. and Hossein Amini's The Two Faces of January (2014). He also has worked for ballet and has done other classical music work.
Early and personal life
Alberto Iglesias Fernández-Berridi was born in 1955 in San Sebastián. His sister is visual artist Cristina Iglesias. Iglesias was the brother-in-law of the late Spanish sculptor, Juan Muñoz.
Iglesias studied harmony and counterpoint at the Conservatory of his home city, with Francisco Escudero, continuing his formation in Paris, where he sudied composition and piano, and at Phonos studios, in Barcelona, where he learned electronic music. Afterwards, he created a duo of electronic music with Javier Navarrete, who worked and performed together from 1981 to 1986. He began working in film composition in the 1980s. Iglesias has composed a number of scores for films directed by Pedro Almodóvar, such as The Flower of My Secret (1995), Live Flesh (1997), All About My Mother (1999), Talk to Her (2002), Bad Education (2004), Volver (2006), Broken Embraces (2009) and The Skin I Live In (2011).
Iglesias garnered his first Oscar nomination for his score in Fernando Meirelles's film adaptation of The Constant Gardener (2005). Iglesias also composed the score for The Kite Runner (2007), based on Khaled Hosseini's 2003 novel of the same name. He earned his second Oscar nomination for that score.
That same year, Iglesias composed the music for Tomas Alfredson's film adaptation of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, starring Gary Oldman as George Smiley. Iglesias told the Los Angeles Times, "(Alfredson) explained to me very well what this film is about. It's a film about loyalties and human relationships. Their spies are victims of this moment. That was the most important thing he told me. The film and the music show the more human side." He received his third Oscar nomination for the latter film.
- 2019 – Dolor y gloria
- 2017 – The Summit
- 2016 – Julieta
- 2015 – Ma Ma
- 2014 – Exodus: Gods and Kings
- 2014 – The Two Faces of January
- 2012 – I'm So Excited
- 2011 – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Oscar nomination)
- 2011 – The Skin I Live In
- 2010 – Even the Rain (También la lluvia)
- 2009 – Broken Embraces
- 2008 – Che
- 2007 – The Kite Runner (Golden Globe & Oscar nomination)
- 2006 – Volver
- 2005 – The Constant Gardener (Oscar nomination)
- 2004 – Bad Education (La mala educación)
- 2002 – The Dancer Upstairs
- 2002 – Talk to Her (Hable con ella)
- 2001 – Sex and Lucia (Lucía y el sexo)
- 1999 – All About My Mother (Todo sobre mi madre)
- 1998 – Lovers of the Arctic Circle (Los amantes del círculo polar)
- 1997 – The Chambermaid on the Titanic (La femme de chambre du Titanic)
- 1997 – Live Flesh (Carne trémula)
- 1995 – The Flower of My Secret (La flor de mi secreto)
- 1995 – Una Casa en Las Afueras (House Out Of Town)
- 1993 – The Red Squirrel (La ardilla roja)
- 1993 – Outrage! (¡Dispara!)
- 1992 – Cows (Vacas)
- 1987 - Balada da Praia dos Cães
- 1983 – La Muerte de Mikel (The Death of Mikel)
- 1983 - La Conquista de Albania
Awards and nominations
- Academy Awards:
- BAFTA Film Awards:
- European Film Awards:
- Golden Globe Awards:
- 2007: The Kite Runner (nominated)
- Goya Awards:
- 1992: Vacas (nominated)
- 1993: La ardilla roja (won)
- 1996: Tierra (won)
- 1998: Los amantes del círculo polar (won)
- 1999: Todo sobre mi madre (won)
- 2001: Lucia y el sexo (won)
- 2002: Hable con ella (won)
- 2006: Volver (won)
- 2008: Che (nominated)
- 2009: Broken Embraces (won)
- 2010: Even the Rain (won)
- 2011: The Skin I Live In (won)
- Platino Awards:
- 2019: Best Original Score for Yuli (pending)
- World Soundtrack Awards:
- 2004: Soundtrack Composer of the Year for La mala educacion (nominated)
- 2005: Best Original Soundtrack of the Year for The Constant Gardener (won)
- 2005: Soundtrack Composer of the Year for The Constant Gardener (won)
- 2012: Soundtrack Composer of the Year for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Skin I Live In (won)
- 2012: Best Original Soundtrack of the Year for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (won)
- Hollywood Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival
- 1992 – Cautiva
- 1994 – Tabulae
- 1995 – Cero sobre Cero
- 1997 – Self
- Gutierrez, Evan C. "Alberto Iglesias Biography", Allmusic. Retrieved 21 September 2013
- Baker, Aaron (2011) Steven Soderbergh, University of Illinois Press, ISBN 978-0252036057, p. 121
- "Alberto Iglesias". People.theiapolis. Retrieved 18 October 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Composer Iglesias Wins Spain Film Award". Fox News Channel. 3 September 2007. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "'He made the world larger'". The Guardian. 2 September 2001. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Juan Munoz". The Daily Telegraph. 31 August 2001. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Alberto Iglesias Biography, Allmusic
- "Spain Honors a Film Composer". The New York Times. 4 September 2007. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Wilmington, Michael (25 December 2002). "In `Talk to Her,' Almodovar creates his masterpiece". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Phillips, Michael (22 November 2006). "In `Volver,' Almodovar masters a melange of genres". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Mira, Alberto (2005). The Cinema of Spain and Portugal. Wallflower Press. ISBN 9781904764441.
- "Alberto Iglesias, The Sound of Almodovar". WQXR-FM. 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Phillips, Michael (20 October 2011). "Sleek, lovely 'Skin I Live In' reveals elegance in the grotesque -- 3 stars". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Alberto Iglesias". Hollywood.com.
- "Overview for Alberto Iglesias". Turner Classic Movies.
- Phillips, Michael. "'Che' stars Benicio Del Toro, Demian Bichir". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Martens, Todd (8 December 2011). "The Scores: Iglesias searches for the sound of loyalty in 'Tinker'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "The 84th Academy Awards". The Boston Globe. 24 January 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Mira, Alberto (2010) The A to Z of Spanish Cinema, Scarecrow Press, ISBN 978-0810876224, p. 158
- Kilday, Greg (2012) "Alberto Iglesias Named Film Composer of the Year at the World Soundtrack Awards", The Hollywood Reporter, 21 October 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2013
- EFE (25 May 2019). "La banda sonora de Alberto Iglesias para «Dolor y Gloria», premiada en Cannes". ABC (in Spanish). Retrieved 26 May 2019.