This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location(s)||Albany, New York|
Albacon is the largest "Con" in upstate New York. It is hosted by LASTSFA, or Latham-Albany-Schenectady-Troy Science Fiction Association, a local science fiction fandom group. The Albacon website lists itself as:
a weekend gathering of fans and creators of Science Fiction or Fantasy, including literature, movies, games, and other mediums ... three days of panel discussions, interviews, films, games, readings, autographs, an art show, dealers room, debates, conversation, socializing, and such ....— Albacon website
The con has hosted many special guests. In 2006, the Guest of Honor (GoH) was Peter David, a novelist most famous for his short stories, television shows and The Incredible Hulk comic book; the Artist Guest of Honor was Omar Rayyan. Additional guests in 2006 included online cartoonist Jeph Jacques, Nick Sagan (son of Carl Sagan and a science fiction writer in his own right), and Klingon linguist and psychologist Lawrence M. Schoen.
Other guests at recent Albacons have included filker Erwin S. Strauss (Filthy Pierre), humorist-novelist Esther Friesner, Shannara creator Terry Brooks, Lois McMaster Bujold, novelist Don Sakers, and science fiction researcher and fan Jan Howard Finder ("The Wombat").
Albacon was not held in 2007, because LASTSFA co-hosted the World Fantasy Convention in Saratoga Springs, New York, with Guests of Honor Carol Emshwiller, Kim Newman, Lisa Tuttle and artist Jean Giraud (Moebius).
Guests of Honor & Special Guests
The next Albacon will be Albacon 2020 to be held September 11-13 2020 in the Ramada Plaza (Ramada Albany).
The Albacon name was also used by a series of science fiction conventions held in Glasgow, Scotland from 1980 to 1998. The name was created from both Alba, the Scottish Gaelic name for Scotland, and because the first convention in 1980 was held in the then-named Albany Hotel in Glasgow.
- Albacon web site. Retrieved April 14, 2007.
- Peter David's web site
- "Studio Rayyan - the Art of Omar Rayyan". www.studiorayyan.com. Retrieved 16 August 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jeph Jacques' Questionable Content online comic strip
- "Albacon Guests". www.albacon.org. Retrieved 16 August 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Albacon 2005 Science Fiction Convention". www.albacon.org. Retrieved 16 August 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Albacon 2003". www.albacon.org. Retrieved 16 August 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Albacon 2000". www.albacon.org. Retrieved 16 August 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- World Fantasy Convention 2007 site.
- Scottish Albacon Fancyclopedia Entry.