Savage and his wife Georgia were horticulturists at the family owned Savage Greenhouses and Garden Centre in Sarnia in 1952.
Savage became Superintendent of Buildings Grounds and Maintenance for Sarnia. He became Commissioner of Parks and Recreation for the Borough of York in 1966. He went to Edmonton as General Manager of the City of Edmonton Parks & Recreation Department (1972-1974) and Commissioner of Public Affairs from 1974 to 1981.
Savage was Chief General Manager of the Toronto Transit Commission from 1981 to 1987, Executive Director of the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority in Buffalo, New York, from 1987 to 1990, and Chief Executive Officer of the Chicago Transit Authority from 1990 to 1992.
Returning to Edmonton
He was a Board Member and Chair of the Olds College from 1997–2003 and an Officer for the Alberta Municipal Government Board. Savage volunteered for the 1978 Commonwealth Games and the 1998 World Student Games and still serving as Director of the Calgary Downtown Rotary Club.
The Alfred H. Savage Centre at Whitemud Park in Edmonton opened in 2012. The centre was described as "a hub for outdoor education and environmental programs such as orienteering or snowshoeing, as well as being a space for community gatherings." He died in Edmonton in 2015, aged 84.
- Al Leach - successor to Savage as head of Toronto Transit Commission
- "50 Who Influenced Public Transportation". Metro Magazine. July 2004. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved November 30, 2010.
- Robb, Trevor (November 28, 2012). "Alfred H. Savage Centre opens its doors". Edmonton Examiner. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "Alf Savage and his perks: He was expensive but he fixed the NFTA (excerpt)". The Buffalo News. September 20, 1992. Archived from the original on November 5, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2010.
- "Board Members". Automobile Insurance Rate Board (Alberta). 2010. Archived from the original on 13 November 2010. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- Fekete, Jason (June 16, 2010). "Vehicle rates poised to rise". Calgary Herald. Archived from the original on 2012-08-20. Retrieved November 30, 2010.
- "Alf Savage Photos - February 18, 2010". Society of Fellows of Southern Alberta. 2010. Retrieved November 30, 2010.[permanent dead link]
R. Michael Warren
| Chief General Manager of the Toronto Transit Commission
Bernard J. Ford - as Engagement Manager
| Executive Director of the Chicago Transit Authority
Robert P. Belcaster - as President