Akihiko Matsui (松井 聡彦 Matsui Akihiko) is a Japanese video game developer and battle designer working for Square Enix. He was one of the directors for Chrono Trigger and worked on several battle systems for the Final Fantasy series.
After finishing his work on Romancing SaGa 2, Matsui joined the development of Chrono Trigger midway through. He was responsible for planning and the movements of monsters in battles. Since 2000, Matsui has been a member of the production staff for the MMORPG Final Fantasy XI, where he was in charge of the battle system. He became the director of the game's ongoing development in September 2010 but was succeeded by Mizuki Ito two months later. Matsui was switched to the Final Fantasy XIV team as lead combat system designer following the game's unsuccessful launch. When Final Fantasy XI producer Hiromichi Tanaka left the company in August 2012, Matsui was chosen to fill the position in his place.
|1991||Final Fantasy IV||Super Nintendo Entertainment System||Battle designer|
|1992||Final Fantasy V||Super Nintendo Entertainment System||Battle planner|
|1993||Romancing SaGa 2||Super Nintendo Entertainment System||Map developer, map data developer|
|1995||Chrono Trigger||Super Nintendo Entertainment System||Director|
|1996||Koi wa Baransu Tatoeba K-kun no Tabou na Ichinichi-hen||Satellaview||Game designer|
|1997||SaGa Frontier||PlayStation||Game data developer|
|1999||Legend of Mana||PlayStation||Game designer, system design chief|
|2002||Final Fantasy XI||PlayStation 2, Windows PC||Battle data designer, battle director, director (2010), producer (2012 – present)|
|2013||Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn||Windows PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4||Lead combat system designer|
- "Chrono Trigger Development Team Special Talk". Gamest. Shinseisha: 211–215. March 1995.
- Matsui, Akihiko (2010-09-01). "New Director for Final Fantasy XI". Square Enix. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Ito, Mizuki; Fujito, Yoji (2010-12-10). "A Message from the Final Fantasy XI Development Team". Square Enix. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Wada, Yoichi; Yoshida, Naoki; Tanaka, Hiromichi (2012-12-10). "An Important Announcement for Final Fantasy XIV Fans". Square-Enix. Archived from the original on 2014-11-06. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Matsui Akihiko; Tanaka, Hiromichi (2012-07-31). "Changing of the Guard: Messages from the Final Fantasy XI Producers". Square Enix. Retrieved 2013-06-25.