This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aigburth railway station building, viewed from the platform.
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|1 June 1864||Opened as Mersey Road|
|1880||Renamed Mersey Road & Aigburth|
|17 April 1972||Closed|
|2 January 1978||Reopened as Aigburth|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Aigburth from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Cheshire Lines Committee
The station, originally called Mersey Road & Aigburth, opened in 1864 as part of the Garston and Liverpool Railway line between Brunswick and Garston Dock. In 1865 the station and line were incorporated into the Cheshire Lines Committee.
The station closed in April 1972 but reopened in January 1978 as part of the Kirkby–Garston line of the Merseyrail system. Services were extended from Garston to Hunts Cross in 1983, and diverted to Southport instead of Kirkby in 1984.
From 11 December 2006 the Monday to Saturday evening service was increased to run every 15 minutes, instead of half-hourly as previously.
The station is staffed during all opening hours. There is a payphone, booking office and live departure and arrival screens for passenger information. The station has a free car park with 16 spaces, as well as secure indoor storage for 10 cycles. The station does not have step-free access for either platform and is not suitable for wheelchairs and prams.
- "Aigburth train station | timetable | ticket prices & facilities". Merseyrail. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- GB eNRT May 2016 Edition, Table 103
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aigburth railway station.|
- Station information for Aigburth railway station from Merseyrail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
towards Hunts Cross
Line open, station closed
|Cheshire Lines Committee
Garston and Liverpool Railway
|Cressington and Grassendale|
Line and station open