African Head Charge is a psychedelic dub ensemble active since the early 1980s. The group was formed by percussionist Bonjo Iyabinghi Noah, and featured a revolving cast of members, including Prisoner, Nick Plytas, Crocodile, Junior Moses, Sunny Akpan, Skip McDonald, and Jah Wobble. The group released most of its albums on Adrian Sherwood's label, On-U Sound.
Many of their early albums have been re-released as double albums on CD.
- My Life in a Hole in the Ground (On-U Sound, 1981)
- Environmental Studies (On-U Sound, 1982)
- Drastic Season (On-U Sound, 1983)
- Off the Beaten Track (On-U Sound, 1986 Anthology Recordings, 2006)
- Great Vintage Volumes 1 & 2 (On-U Sound, 1989) (compilation)
- Songs of Praise (On-U Sound, 1990)
- Live:Pride and Joy (On-U Sound, 1991)
- In Pursuit of Shashamane Land (On-U Sound, ON-U LP65, 1993)
- All Mighty Dread (Beat Records, 1994) (compilation)
- Touch I EP (On-U Sound, 1994)
- Akwaaba (Acid Jazz Records, 1995)
- Sankofa (Bonjo I, 1997)
- Drums Of Defiance: African Head Charge Versus Professor Stretch (On-U Sound, ON-ULP93, 1998)
- Noah House of Dread (Bonjo I, 1998)
- Live Goodies (Bonjo I, 2001)
- Shrunken Head (On-U Sound, 2003) (compilation)
- Vision of a Psychedelic Africa (On-U Sound, 2005)
- In Charge:Live in Japan EP (On-U Sound, 2005)
- Voodoo of The Godsent (On-U Sound, 2011)
- Return Of The Crocodile (On-U Sound, 2016)
- Churchical Chant Of The Iyabinghi (On-U Sound, 2020)
- AllMusic - African Head Charge biography
- "African Head Charge + Nick Sinna (NTS Radio) - Band on the Wall". Band on the Wall. Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- Bush, John. "African Head Charge". Biography. AllMusic.com. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- Stubbs, David (2007). "The Primer: Adrian Sherwood". The Wire. No. 276. The Wire Magazine Ltd. p. 42.