|Network||Cartoon Network (2012–2019)|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i for the SDTV feed)
|Owner||Showcase Television Inc.|
|Sister channels||Cartoon Network|
|Launched||July 4, 2012 (block)|
April 1, 2019 (channel)
|Closed||March 4, 2019(block)|
|Available on most cable providers||Channel slots vary on each system|
|Bell Satellite TV||Channel 334 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 428 (HD)|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 351 (SD)|
Channel 523 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 334 (SD)|
Channel 1334 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 241 (SD)|
Channel 1241 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9449 (SD) |
Channel 449 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 80 (SD) |
Channel 380 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 82 (SD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 162 (SD)|
|RiverTV||Channel 5 (HD)|
Adult Swim (stylized as [adult swim]) is a Canadian English language specialty channel, based on the American programming block of the same name, that features animated and live-action shows targeting primarily an 14–34 audience. The network is wholly owned by Corus Entertainment subsidiary Showcase Television Inc. under a brand licensing agreement with WarnerMedia.
The channel was launched on April 1, 2019, replacing Action.
Programming block (2012–2019)
Adult Swim first launched in Canada on July 4, 2012 as the late-night program block on Cartoon Network (then jointly owned by Corus Entertainment and the former Astral Media), much like its American counterpart. Prior to the block's launch, Adult Swim programming was seen after-hours on Teletoon as part of its adult-oriented program block, Teletoon at Night. Adult Swim programming was also carried in French on sister network Télétoon as part of its own adult animation block.
The block primarily aired original shows from the U.S. version, as well as shows acquired from other sources. Several shows from its American counterpart were noticeably absent due to program rights; Rogers Media-owned G4, and Bell Media's Comedy and Much have broadcast a selection of them. From September 1, 2015 until Fall 2017, Adult Swim programming would air exclusively on the Canadian block as part of the expansion of Cartoon Network, following the closure of Teletoon Retro.
SVOD service (2016–2018)
In March 2016, [adult swim] Games launched an over-the-top subscription streaming video on demand service for Android and iOS devices that allowed viewers to watch Adult Swim's original programming, including several series that weren't seen on the Canadian block. New episodes were added to the app as soon as they premiered in the United States.
Due to program rights and licensing, several series, such as Mike Tyson Mysteries, Childrens Hospital, Fox animated sitcoms, and shows broadcast on Adult Swim's anime and action-oriented Toonami block in the U.S., weren't available on the service. Originally, Rick and Morty and Robot Chicken premieres were only added after they air in Canada. Beginning with its third season, new episodes of Rick and Morty were added the next day after their American premiere. In 2017, new episodes from Samurai Jack's fifth season were added two days after they premiered on Toonami, while other new premieres from Adult Swim in the U.S were added the day after they aired. The service was removed from app stores in November 2018.
TV channel relaunch (2019–present)
On March 4, 2019, it was announced in a press release that Action would be replaced by a full-time Adult Swim channel. This marks the first time that the Adult Swim brand has been used for a 24-hour channel. The channel launched with a two-month free preview on linear television beginning April 1, 2019, a high-profile day for the U.S. network due to their annual April Fools' Day scheduling, on-air pranks, and premieres. As a result of the relaunch, both Cartoon Network and Teletoon would discontinue their respective adult programming blocks on March 3, 2019, and April 1, 2019, and focus exclusively on family-oriented programming while Télétoon's adult block remained unchanged. With the rollout of the Adult Swim channel, full episodes of the channel's programming were made free to watch on-demand until January 2020.
The channel launched exactly at midnight (six hours earlier than had been listed for Action's final night of programming in guide listings) with a simulcast of the American network's April Fools programming; the premiere of the anime-inspired tennis parody Gēmusetto Machu Picchu.
Adult Swim carries the majority of programming seen on its American counterpart, including its original adult animation and live-action comedies, and shows acquired from networks such as FOX. To fulfill Canadian content requirements, the channel also airs reruns of shows produced for the former Adult Swim and Teletoon at Night program blocks and carries over Action's morning block of made-for-TV movies.
Shows announced for the channel's launch include Rick and Morty, Robot Chicken, Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories, The Eric Andre Show, and Lazor Wulf, the latter of which was announced to premiere day-and-date with the U.S service.
As of October 2020:
- American Dad!
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- Beef House
- Bob's Burgers
- The Cleveland Show
- Doomsday Brothers
- The Eric Andre Show
- Family Guy
- Fugget About It
- Home Movies
- Joe Pera Talks with You
- King of the Hill
- Mr. Pickles
- Rick and Morty
- Robot Chicken
- Sealab 2021
- The Venture Bros.
- Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
- Dream Corp LLC (Season 3 premieres October 25, 2020)
- Gēmusetto Machu Picchu (Season 2 premieres Fall 2020)
- Lazor Wulf (Season 2 premieres December 6, 2020)
As a channel
- 12 oz. Mouse
- 2 Nuts and a Richard
- Apollo Gauntlet
- Ballmastrz: 9009
- Black Dynamite
- Black Jesus
- The Brak Show
- Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule
- China, IL
- The Drinky Crow Show
- Frisky Dingo
- The Greatest Event in Television History
- Harley Quinn
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
- The Heart, She Holler
- Hot Package
- Hot Streets
- The Jellies!
- JJ Villard's Fairy Tales
- Loiter Squad
- Momma Named Me Sheriff
- Mostly 4 Millennials
- Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter
- Off the Air
- Samurai Jack
- Saul of the Mole Men
- The Shivering Truth
- Space Ghost Coast to Coast
- Tender Touches
- Three Busy Debras
- Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
- Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories
- Tropical Cop Tales
- YOLO: Crystal Fantasy
As a programming block
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-71
- CNW TELETOON Canada Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. Bring Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canada in 2012 Teletoon Canada Inc. press release February 2, 2012
- "Check it: Cartoon Network to launch in Canada - July 4, 2012".
- Wilford, Denette (February 2, 2012). "Cartoon Network, Adult Swim Coming To Canada". Huffington Post. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "G4 Launches ADd – Adult Digital Distraction". Rogers. June 8, 2009. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- "Fall is Fresh on Much with Exclusive Season Premieres of Hit Series TOSH.0 and SOUTH PARK, beginning September 3". Bell Media Press Room. 2013-08-26. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Childrens Hospital on MUCH". Archived from the original on 2014-04-01. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Newsreaders on MUCH". Archived from the original on 2014-05-10. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Pay and Specialty - Cartoon Network (formerly TELETOON Retro (English)), CRTC Financial Summaries, 06-23-16
- O'Brien, Greg (11 August 2015). "Corus to shutter Teletoon Retro in favour of Cartoon Network". CARTT. Retrieved 11 August 2015.(subscription required)
- "Corus Entertainment's Cartoon Network Expands Distribution to Over 5 Million Subscribers" (Press release). Toronto: Corus Entertainment. September 3, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Adult Swim Announces New SVOD Service In Canada". March 2, 2016. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "You can now legally stream Rick and Morty and other Adult Swim Shows in Canada". March 2, 2016. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "Odds & Ends: Haikara-San sequel doubtful for theatrical, Chunibyo cancelled, Canadian Adult Swim app dies, Crunchyroll's top fall titles". November 17, 2018. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- First Ever 24-Hour Adult Swim Channel Coming to Canada This Spring Newswire 2019-03-04
- TV Schedule for Adult Swim - East TV Passport
- "Appointment Confirmed: "Dream Corp LLC" Welcomes You Back for Season Three Sunday, October 25 at 12:30 a.m. ET/PT on Adult Swim". The Futon Critic. October 12, 2020.
- "ADULT SWIM DELIVERS A FULLY-LOADED SCHEDULE THIS FALL WITH TONS OF NEW CONTENT TO KEEP EYES GLUED TO THE TUBE". Corus. September 10, 2020.