The Marquess of Linlithgow
|Marquess of Linlithgow|
|Assumed office |
7 April 1987
|Preceded by||Charles Hope|
Adrian John Charles Hope, Viscount Aithrie
1 July 1946
(m. 1968; div. 1978)
(m. 1980; div. 1997)
(m. 1997; div. 2007)
|Alma mater||Eton College|
Adrian John Charles Hope, 4th Marquess of Linlithgow (born 1 July 1946), styled Viscount Aithrie until 1952 and Earl of Hopetoun between 1952 and 1987, is a British noble. His family seat is Hopetoun House, near Edinburgh, Scotland. He was educated at Eton College.
Lord Linlithgow has been married three times. He married, firstly, Anne Pamela Leveson, daughter of Arthur Edmund Leveson and Margaret Ruth Maude, on 9 January 1968. The couple had two children before divorcing in 1978.
- Andrew Victor Arthur Charles Hope, Earl of Hopetoun (b. 22 May 1969); married Skye Laurette Bovill, daughter of Major Bristow Charles Bovill and Kerry Anne Reynolds, on 10 July 1993. The couple have four children.
- Lord Alexander John Adrian Hope (b. 3 February 1971)
He married, secondly, Peta Carol Binding, daughter of Charles Victor Ormond Binding, in 1980. They had two children. He and Peta Carol Binding were divorced in 1997.
- Lady Louisa Civienne Hope (b. 16 April 1981)
- Lord Robert Charles Robin Adrian Hope (b. 17 January 1984)
He married, thirdly, Auriol Veronica Mackeson-Sandbach, daughter of Captain Graham Lawrie Mackeson-Sandbach and Geraldine Pamela Violet Sandbach, on 1 November 1997. He and Auriol Veronica Mackeson-Sandbach were divorced in 2007.
The current Marquess is expected to be succeeded by his eldest son, Andrew, Earl of Hopetoun. Lord Hopetoun is married to Skye Bovill, now Countess of Hopetoun. He is a former Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Lord and Lady Hopetoun take part in the Queen's carriage procession at Royal Ascot.
Titles and styles
- 1 July 1946 – 5 January 1952: Viscount Aithrie
- 5 January 1952 – 7 April 1987: Earl of Hopetoun
- 7 April 1987 — present: The Most Honourable The Marquess of Linlithgow
- "Hopetoun House in peril as trustees plan sell-off". The Times. Retrieved 2017-01-07. (subscription required)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-22. Retrieved 2012-06-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The elite | Money". The Guardian. 1999-04-10. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- History of the Hope family "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-28. Retrieved 2012-06-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Hansard 1803���2005: contributions in Parliament by Adrian Hope, 4th Marquess of Linlithgow
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Marquess of Linlithgow
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Most Hon. The Marquess of Zetland
The Most Honourable the Marquess of Linlithgow
The Most Hon. The Marquess of