|Districts and Unorganized Atolls of American Samoa|
2 Unorganized Atolls
|Populations||32,435 (Western District) – 0 (Rose Atoll)|
|Areas||28.873 square miles (74.78 km2) (Western District) – 0.083 square miles (0.21 km2) (Rose Atoll)|
American Samoa is administratively divided into three districts and two "unorganized" atolls. For statistical purposes, the United States Census Bureau counts these five places as county equivalents. Locally, the districts and unorganized atolls are subdivided into 14 counties (which are not the above county equivalents used by the Bureau) and 74 villages. American's Samoa's 14 local counties are treated as "minor civil divisions" (not true counties) by the U.S. Census Bureau. American Samoa only has one U.S. zip code: 96799.
"Each [district] is administered by a district governor who is appointed by the territorial governor. To be qualified as a district governor, an individual must hold a matai title within the district to which he/she is to be appointed."
Districts and counties
- Eastern District
- Western District
- Manu'a District
- Pago Pago
- Rose Atoll
- Utumea East
- Utumea West
"In general each village is made up of a group of aiga (extended families) which include as many relatives as can be claimed. Each aiga is headed by a matai (chief) who represents the family on all matters including the village council, or fono. Matai's hold title to all assets of the aigas, or families, they represent and are responsible for law enforcement and punishment of infractions occurring in their villages. The fono consists of the matais of all the aiga associated with the village. The highest chief of the matais of all the village aigas is the highest chief or the ali'i and heads the fono. Also, each village has a pulenu'u (somewhat like a police chief or mayor) and one or more talking chiefs, tulafale."
The county-level FIPS codes (for the 5 county-equivalents defined by the U.S. Census Bureau) are:
- Eastern District — 60010
- Manu'a District — 60020
- Rose Atoll — 60030
- Swains Island — 60040
- Western District — 60050
- https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/reference/GARM/Ch4GARM.pdf States, Counties, and Statistically Equivalent Entities (Chapter 4). Census.gov. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- "5.0102 Division of districts into counties". www.asbar.org. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- https://www.zip-codes.com/state/as.asp Zip-codes.com. American Samoa zip codes. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- https://radewagen.house.gov/about/our-district Radewagen.house.gov. Our District. American Samoa - A Territory of the United States. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- https://www.nps.gov/npsa/learn/historyculture/people.htm U.S. National Park Service. National Park of American Samoa. History & Culture - People. Retrieved September 7, 2019.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20160312151513/https://www.census.gov/geo/reference/codes/cou.html U.S. Census Bureau. 2010 FIPS Codes for Counties and County Equivalent Entities (archived). Retrieved September 7, 2019.