|Chicago 'L' rapid transit station|
Addison station in 2010
|Location||940 West Addison Street|
Chicago, Illinois 60613
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Line(s)||North Side Main Line|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||June 6, 1900|
|Passengers (2017)||2,971,892 6%|
|Rank||14 out of 143|
Addison is a Chicago "L" station on the Chicago Transit Authority Red line. It is located in the Wrigleyville area of the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois, at 940 West Addison Street with city block coordinates at 3600 North at 940 West. Addison directly serves the Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field, the city's north side Major League Baseball team and its stadium. The station is served by the Red Line. The station is within the shadow of the historic baseball stadium.
Chicago artist Steve Musgrave has several murals featuring Cubs legends on display at the Addison station, which he adopted as part of the CTA's Adopt-A-Station program in 1998. Four large murals feature Cubs legends Billy Williams, Ferguson Jenkins, "Mr. Cub," Ernie Banks and Ryne Sandberg. A smaller painting of Harry Caray was added later.
Prior to 2007, southbound afternoon Purple Line Express trains stopped at the station before weekday evening Cubs games, to speed travel times for customers from Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette. In an effort to prevent delays due to Brown Line construction just south of the station, Purple Line Express trains now stop at the nearby Sheridan station instead.
Following Cubs games, this station can become overcrowded and jammed with people trying to get on the trains.
From March 5, 2015 to March 21, 2016, AM Loop-bound Purple Line express trains shared 95th-bound Red Line tracks and stopped at Addison. This was due to the first phase of the Wilson station reconstruction.
- 22 Clark (Owl Service)
- 152 Addison
- 282 Rolling Meadows–Wrigley Field Express
- 779 Hillside–Wrigley Field Express
Notes and references
- "Boys Meddle with "L" Track". Chicago Daily Tribune. June 7, 1900. p. 12.
- "Annual Ridership Report – Calendar Year 2017" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority, Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 31, 2018. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- Red Line Customers Score a Commemorative Poster at Cubs–Sox Crosstown Series. Chicago Transit Authority. 2003-06-19. Retrieved on 2010-07-03.
- Cubs–Sox Crosstown Series – CTA Connections – June 2010 – Chicago Transit Authority. Chicago Transit Authority. 2010-06-01. Retrieved on 2010-07-03.
- CTA to Issue Commemorative Fare Card For Cubs–Sox Crosstown Series. Chicago Transit Authority. 2003-06-02. Retrieved on 2010-07-03.
- CTA Provides Service to Wrigley Field This Baseball Season Archived 2007-10-25 at the Wayback Machine. Chicago Transit Authority. 2007-04-05. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-27. Retrieved 2015-05-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)