This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Acle station from the footbridge
|Managed by||Greater Anglia|
|Classification||DfT category F2|
|Original company||Great Eastern Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway|
|12 March 1883||Opened|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Acle railway station is on the Wherry Lines in the east of England, serving the town of Acle, Norfolk. It is 10 miles 34 chains (16.8 km) down the line from Norwich on the route to Great Yarmouth. Its three-letter station code is ACL.
Opened by the Great Eastern Railway in 1883, it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway following the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the Eastern Region of British Railways upon nationalisation in 1948.
Today the station is served by Greater Anglia, which operates the services between Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Until 2019, trains were formed by diesel multiple units of Classes 153, 156 or 170. During the summer months, some locomotive-hauled trains, top-and-tailed with a Class 37 at either end, would work certain services on the Wherry Lines. All services are now operated by the brand new Class 755 Stadler FLIRT electro-diesel multiple units.
The station has the only passing loop on the Acle branch of the line, and in times past there was a coaling depot.
Services are reduced to 1tp2h on Sundays.
- Table 15 National Rail timetable, May 2020
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Acle railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|This article about a railway station in the East of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|