The genus was described by Nikolaus Joseph von Jacquin in 1776 with a single species Abroma fastuosum, which was illustrated and described. However, because Jacquin was renaming Theobroma augusta L., according to the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants, he was required to use the name Abroma augustum, and A. fastuosum is an illegitimate name. The correct name of the type species, A. augustum (L.) L. f., was made in 1782 by Carl Linnaeus the Younger.
- "Abroma". Australian Plant Name Index (APNI), IBIS database. Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research, Australian Government, Canberra. Retrieved 2009-02-07. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Abroma fastuosum", Hortus botanicus vindobonensis, 3, 1776, pp. 3–4
- "Tab 1", Hortus botanicus vindobonensis, 3, 1776
- Index Nominum Genericorum, retrieved 30 September 2016 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- National Species List/Australian Plant Census, retrieved 30 September 2016 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)