|Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire|
Location within Queensland
|Population||976 (2016 census)|
|• Density||0.8656/km2 (2.2418/sq mi)|
|Area||1,127.6 km2 (435.4 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Hope Vale|
|Website||Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire|
The Aboriginal Shire of Hope Vale is a local government area in Far North Queensland, Queensland, Australia, north of the town of Cooktown. The majority of the Shire consists of Deed of Grant land that is held for the benefit of Aboriginal people particularly concerned with the land and their ancestors and descendants.
The area originally was set up as a German Lutheran mission in 1885 by missionaries, at what came to be known as the Cape Bedford Mission, 25 kilometres (16 mi) from what is now Hope Vale. The residents were evacuated to Woorabinda during World War II in 1942, and the land was used by the army. Many of the people died, and the survivors were not allowed to return until 1949. In September 1952, the land was formally gazetted as an Aboriginal reserve.
In 1986, under the Community Services (Aborigines) Act 1984, a Deed of Grant in Trust was given to the Hope Vale community. Like other DOGIT communities of the time, Hope Vale had a Community Council elected by Aboriginal people living in the community.
The Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council operates under the requirements set out in the Queensland Local Government Act. However, in the township of Hope Vale the Council is also the Trustee of the land and as such has added responsibilities that are quite different from a typical local government body. This includes responsibility for fisheries, alcohol management and employment initiatives.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Hope Vale (S)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- "Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council". Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "2008 Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2012 Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2016 Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". results.ecq.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 4 December 2017.