This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Service area||Greater London|
|Service type||Bus services|
|Routes||51 (March 2018)|
|Fleet||743 (March 2018)|
Abellio London is a bus company operating services in Greater London. A subsidiary of Abellio, it operates services under contract to Transport for London. Until September 2018, services were operated in Surrey under the Abellio Surrey brand.
The origins of Abellio can be traced back to June 1998 when National Express commenced operating routes C1 and 211 under the Travel London brand. In August 2000, National Express sold the business to Limebourne, who in July 2001 sold out to Connex. In February 2004, National Express repurchased the business. Further expansion in 2005 saw the purchases of the London bus operations of Tellings-Golden Miller with a depot in Byfleet and various Surrey County Council contracts.
Travel London operated contracts on behalf of Transport for London, Surrey County Council, and Kingston University. Operations were split between three registered companies; Travel London Limited, Travel London (Middlesex) Limited, and Travel London (West) Limited. The Surrey routes were rebranded as Travel Surrey in September 2007.
In May 2009, National Express sold Travel London to Abellio. The sale included 66 routes, 36 Transport for London tendered services and 30 Surrey County Council and Kingston University routes. All vehicles, depots and staff were included.
On 30 October 2009 the businesses were rebranded as Abellio London and Abellio Surrey.
Abellio operates six garages in London and Surrey. Beddington Cross, Battersea and Walworth are operated by Abellio London Limited and Fulwell, Hayes and Southall by Abellio West London Limited.
Beddington Cross (BC)
This garage was established by Q-Drive in the late 1990s, hence the QB code. Travel London's original bus garage was situated further north towards Stewarts Lane railway depot which was the home of the Gatwick Express, a rail franchise then operated by its parent National Express. Connex moved into these premises after purchasing the Limebourne business in July 2001. In December 2015, Battersea garage started operating route 159.
On 28 May 2016, Abellio London started operating routes E5, E7 and E9 from Hayes.
On 13 July 2019, a new garage in the Great Western Industrial Estate on part of the former Associated Commercial Vehicles site in Armstrong Way, Southall opened replacing Southall (AB) garage, operating routes E1, E5, E7, E9, E10 and E11. Routes 195 and 207 were added two weeks later.
Twickenham operates London bus routes 290, 350, 481, 490, H20, H25, H26, H28, K1, R68 and R70. The garage is split into two sections, with northern half used by London United and the southern half used by Abellio. A part of Abellio's section is used by London United as the terminus for its route 33.
Until September 2009, Fulwell was also responsible for the Kingston University shuttle services.
On 28 May 2016, Fulwell took over the running of route H28 which moved from Hayes to make space for routes E5, E7 and E9.
On 25 March 2017, Fulwell took over the running of route 350 which moved from Hayes to make space for route 427.
This garage was operated by Tellings-Golden Miller and was sold to National Express in June 2005. It was rebranded as Travel Surrey in September 2007 and ran buses in a livery of white with a red skirt. Renamed Travel London, in September 2007 it was rebranded as Travel Surrey. In October 2009 it was rebranded Abellio Surrey. In September 2017, all 17 of its Surrey County Council tendered routes passed to other operators.
As at July 2017, the remaining routes were commercially operated services 441 and 461. Route 441 was taken over by White Bus in March 2018 and route 461 by Falcon Coaches in September 2018.
As at March 2016, the fleet consisted of 769 buses.
- National Express buys 200 London buses The Daily Telegraph 27 February 2004
- National Express Group purchases the London Bus Division of Tellings Golden Miller National Express 1 June 2005
- Companies House extract company no 3786162 Abellio London Limited
- Companies House extract company no 3792590 Travel London (Middlesex) Limited
- Companies House extract company no 689260 Abellio West London Limited
- National Express Group PLC agreement to sell Travel London National Express 21 May 2009
- NedRailways acquisition reinforces long term commitment to UK transport market Archived 18 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine NedRailways 9 June 2009
- NedRailways announces launch Abellio London and Abellio Surrey Archived 18 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine NedRailways 30 October 2009
- Burning bus explodes in South London street BBC News 5 November 2014
- Services in London Abellio
- Carr, Ken (September 2014). The London Bus Guide (4 ed.). Boreham: Visions International Entertainment. p. 111. ISBN 978-0-9570058-6-0.
- Optare Excels: Travel London, Limebourne, Connex Ian's Bus Stop
- Abellio London now operates route 159 Abellio 16 December 2015
- LRT tenders Commercial Motor 9 March 1985
- Green light for new energy efficient bus infrastructure Transport for London 24 February 2005
- Solar powered bus garages BBC News 24 February 2005
- Abellio London & Surrey wins three new routes in West London Abellio
- Two more new garages open but will others close? Buses issue 773 August 2019 page 24
- Fleet News Buses issue 774 September 2019 page 68
- "Fulwell Depot: Teddington". The Twickenham Museum. 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Fleet News" Buses issue 750 September 2017 page 66
- Forthcoming bus timetable changes Surrey County Council
- "Abellio Surrey maintain a commercial toehold in Surrey" Buses issue 749 August 2017 page 7
- New operator for Route 441 from 17th March 2018 Abellio 14 March 2018
- New operator for Route 461 from 15th September Abellio 6 August 2018
- "Falcon Coaches to take over Abellio's remaining Surrey route" Coach & Bus Week issue 1357 28 August 2018 page 11
- Abellio facts & figures Abellio 29 March 2016