|Born||October 2, 1988|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||73 kg (161 lb)|
|Updated on 9 August 2012.|
He was born in Nandi. He won the gold medal at the 2005 World Youth Championships, a bronze medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics, seventh at the 2013 World Championship and finished ninth at the 2009 World Athletics Final.
In January 2013 a video of fellow long-distance runner Iván Fernández shoving a lost Mutai towards the finish line during the Burlada Cross Country race, rather than passing Mutai and winning the race, went viral. Fernández was globally praised for his sportsmanship.
|2005||World Youth Championships||Marrakech, Morocco||1st||2000 m s'chase||5:24.69|
|2011||All-Africa Games||Maputo, Mozambique||8th||3000 m s'chase||8:36.75|
|2012||African Championships||Porto Novo, Benin||1st||3000 m s'chase||8:16.05|
|Olympic Games||London, United Kingdom||3rd||3000 m s'chase||8:19.73|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abel Kiprop Mutai.|
- Abel Mutai at World Athletics
- "La Honestidad De Iván Fernández". RTVE.
- Carlos Arribas. Honesty of the long-distance runner: Vitoria-based athlete Iván Fernández Anaya refused to take advantage when his rival stopped short of the finishing line in a cross-country race, El Pais, 24 February 2013
- Spanish Runner Intentionally Loses To Abel Mutai, After The Kenyan Mistook The Finish Line (Video), Nairobi Wire, 22 January 2013
- Michael Katz. Heartwarming proof that sportsmanship is not dead, USA TODAY, January 19, 2013.
- Spanish runner Iván Fernández Anaya helps opponent Abel Mutai win cross-country race, Vancouver Sun, January 18, 1013.
- Bob Collins. Losing on purpose, Minnesota Public Radio, January 18, 2013
- Ivan Fernandez Anaya, Spanish Runner, Intentionally Loses Race So Opponent Can Win, HuffPost, January 18, 1013
- See How Iván Fernández Anaya Gained Global Recognition Few Years Ago, Opera News, 7 July 2020
- Huzaima Bukhari. Ethics – a fading trend, Daily Times, July 4, 2020
- Abdul Latheef Naha. When the runner-up won the race of integrity, The Hindu, July 9, 2020