Abdur Razzaq bin Ghalib al-Mahdi
عبد الرزاق بن غالب المهدي
|Born||1961 (age 57–58)|
|Post||Religious cleric in Tahrir al-Sham (former), specializes in Hadith|
Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdi (Arabic: عبد الزراق المهدي) is a Syrian Islamist cleric who is actively involved fighting in the Syrian Civil War against the Syrian government. He originates from Damascus's Al-Salihiyah district and was born in 1961.
Study and graduation
He started pursuing Islamic Sciences in 1977 in the al-Fathu’l Islami institution in Damascus, from great scholars of Damascus, most famous among them Abdur Razzaq al-Halabi, the mufti of Hanafis and one who collected mutawatir recitations. He read to him the whole Quran in the narration of Hafs and received an ijazah reaching to Muhammad. He also studied under Shaykh Adeeb al-Kallas and many other scholars.
He has a great love for hadith sciences and distinguishing them between sahih (authentic) and da'if (weak) since his commence of seeking knowledge. He studied hadith books and terminologies and has read the classical books, the works of later and contemporary scholars. His most eminent teacher is Shaykh Abdul Qader Arnaout, the hadith scholar of al-Sham. He studied under him Qawaid at-Tahdith by al-Qasimi. Frequenting him, he would sit and benefit from him. Shaykh al-Arnaout would praise him, and his sons are said to have a good relationship with him and recommend people to benefit from him.
When al-Mahdi graduated from the Islamic shar’i college, he started working in verifying religious books (tahqiq). He was appointed as an imam and preacher for several mosques in Damascus and its rural areas. He was coerced to pause preaching and studying more than once due to security reasons.
For a short period of time al-Mahdi had left Syria for Tunisia, where he engaged in preaching and teaching activities. After the outbreak of the Syrian Civil War he returned to Syria to support the Opposition fighters in their struggle against the government.
Views and fatwas
In response to a question in his weekly program "Fatwas from the land of Sham" he discouraged terror attacks targeting civilians stating that it is not permitted to kill non-combatants in Islam. He further hinted at the maleficence of such attacks as they are invoking more apparent reprisal attacks, forging a bad image of Muslims and Islamic fighters and foremost asserting legitimization for the occupation of Muslim countries.
A fatwa allowing abandoned homes to be seized was withdrawn by Abdulrazzaq al Mahdi. A video was posted of Abdul Razzaq al Mahdi pleading for Muslims to intervene against what he called were "cursed Shiite rafidha" in December 2016 during the Battle of Aleppo.
After the death of Muhammad Surur, Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdi released condolences upon him and commented on his impact. Al Mahdi posted a video calling for unity under the leadership of Islamic clerics.
In an article published in the 19th edition of the Turkistan Islamic Party's magazine "Islamic Turkistan", Abdurazak al Mahdi praised Sultan Satuq Bughra Khan's conversion to Islam and Qutayba bin Muslim's conquest.
The Turkistan Islamic Party in Syria released "Blessed Are the Strangers #6" featuring a speech by Hasan Mahsum, as well as by Army of Conquest leader Abdullah al-Muhaysini and fellow Abdul Razzaq al Mahdi.
Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdi and Abdullah al-Muhaysini asked Muslims with money to aid the cause of the Uyghur Turkistan Islamic Party and praised the Uyghur foreign fighters for their role in the Syrian Civil War fighting against the Syrian government.
Muhaysini, Abu Taher Al Hamawi, and Abdelrazzak Mehdi worked on the formation of the group Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham. They are members of the group and appeared in its founding declaration. However some months later on 8 March 2017 Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdi announced his split from the group in his official Telegram channel as he had not been able to hinder some injustices and did thus not wish to take share in the responsibility. This came in the wake of the Rebel infighting in South Idlib and Northern Hama between Tahrir al-Sham and Liwa al-Aqsa, an ISIS affiliate left over from the late Jund al-Aqsa movement after its fusion. Liwa al-Aqsa had been accused of harassing other groups and kidnapping people as they considered most groups to be apostates, which emanated from their extreme views in takfir. Since his split from the group al-Mahdi continues his Islamic preaching activities independently and hosts some programs along with answering jurisprudential (relating fiqh - the permissibility or prohibition of actions) questions of his followers online through Telegram.
Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdi along with Nabil Al-Awadi, Tariq Abdelhaleem, and Hani al-Sibai who are linked to Al-Qaeda, in addition to others like Adnan al-Aroor, Abd Al-Aziz Al-Fawzan, Mohamad al-Arefe, Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais, Abdul-Aziz ibn Abdullah Al Shaykh and others were included on a death list by ISIS.
Activities of the Abdul Razzaq al-Mahdı in revising books were concentrated on the subject of Hadith, particularly the fields of Takhrij (researching variants of the hadith), Tashih (authentifying hadiths) and Tadyif (classifying to be “weak”).
- Tafsiru’l Qurani’l Azim by Ibn Kathir, 5 volumes
- Tafsiru’l Qurtubi, al-Jami’ li’l-Ahkami’l Quran, 10 volumes
- Tafsiru’sh Shawkani, Fathu’l Qadir; 5 volumes
- Ahkamu’l Quran by Ibn al-Arabi; 4 volumes
- Tafsiru’l Baghawi; 5 volumes
- Tafsiru’l Kashaf by Zamahshari; 5 volumes, including an Appendix
- al-Bahru’l Muhit by Abu Hayyan; 8 volumes
- at-Tashīl by Ibn Juzayy; 2 volumes
- Adwau’l Bayan by al Shanqiti
- Fathul Bayan by Sadiq Hasan Khan
- at-Tamhid by Ibn Abdilbarr
- Fathul Qadir by Ibn Humām; 5 volumes [Hanafi fiqh]
- al-Lubāb; 3 volumes [Hanafi fiqh]
- al-Uddah Sharhul 'Umdah
- ar-Rawdul Murabba’
- Bidāyatul Mujtahid by Ibn Rushd (Averroes)
- al-I’tisam by al-Shātibi
- Fathul Majid
- Shariah by Ajuri
- Tarikhul Madina by Ibn an-Najjar
- Zadul Ma’ad by Ibn Qayyim
- Talbisu Iblis by Ibn Jawzi
- Mukthasar Zadul Ma’ād and Mukhtasar as-Sīrah by Muhammad ibn Abdulwahhab
- Kitabu'l Adhkar by an-Nawawī
- ar-Rihlatu fi talabil hadith by al-Khatīb al-Baghdadi
- al-Khatim by al-Bayhaqī with an introduction
- Muwatta; 4 volumes revision with a lengthy and detailed takhrij of the hadiths, especially those concerning balaaghah, mursal ones and mawquf hadiths considered marfu' along with a beneficent commentary. It has not been printed later.
- Lister, Charles (6 March 2017). "cleric Abdulrazzaq al-Mehdi has announced his defection from HTS due to its recent "aggressions" against Ahrar al-Sham". twitter.
- Taken from his official online biography of his personal website which has now been shut down.
- "Rule on Attacks in the West". Farisurrum. 28 July 2017.
- Hassan, Hassan (15 April 2016). "Ahrar al-Sham's Shkh Abdulrazzaq al-Mahdi retracts his fatwa that permitted taking "abandoned homes & was abuses". twitter.
- Emotional plea from Sheik Abdul Razzaq Al Mahdi from Syria. #aleppo نامەیەکی کاریگەر لەلایەن شێخ عب. 15 December 2016.
- Hassan, Hassan (2 December 2016). "Interesting take by #Syria jihadist Sheikh Abdulrazzaq al-Mahdi on the legacy of Muhammad Surur (e.g. Safar al-Hawali, Nasser al-Omar et al)pic.twitter.com/hJF9jeSDav". @hxhassan (in Arabic).
- Unity under the leadership of the scholars الشيخ عبد الرزاق المهدي - الوحدة تحت قيادة العلماء. 25 April 2016. Archived from the original on 4 February 2017.
- عبد الرزاق المهدي الدمشقي (April 2016). "ساندوا الشعب التركستاني" (PDF). ترك��تان الإسلامية. No. العدد 19. p. 31. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 September 2016.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (15 August 2016). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Congratulations of the Shaykhs on the Occasion of Ramaḍān"". Jihadology.net.
- Zelin, Aaron Y. (1 January 2017). "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Blessed Are the Strangers #6"". Jihadology.
- "Şeyh Ebu Katade'den Türkistan İslam Cemaati Mücahitlerine Övgü Dolu Sözler". Doğu Türkistan Bülteni Haber Ajansı. 2 November 2016. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017.
- "Turkestan Islamic Party (TIP) Video Features Al-Muhaysini And Mahdi Commending Uyghur Fighters, Urging Muslim Businessmen To Support, Publicize Their Plight In East Turkestan". MEMRI. 5 January 2017.
- "New video message from Ḥizb al-Islāmī al-Turkistānī in Bilād al-Shām: "Dr. 'Abd Allah bin Muḥammad al-Muḥaysinī: Message To Those Who Migrated From Turkistān"". Jihadology. 15 January 2017.
- Al-Tamimi, Aymenn J. (29 January 2017). "#Syria: One might understand the reasoning here, but fact is U.S. reasonably won't see Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham this way, so strikes continuepic.twitter.com/bzdy4rDo9I". @ajaltamimi.
- Joscelyn, Thomas (28 January 2017). "Six jihadi scholars have joined Tahrir al Sham, including Abdullah al Muhaysini (a Saudi designated by US gov't as al Qaeda):pic.twitter.com/IaiGXMVFaA". twitter.
- "SYRIA Jihadi Scholars Join Newly-Formed Tahrir Al-Sham, Among Them Abdullah Al Muhaysani, Abdel Razaq Mahdi, Abu Yusuf". twitter (in Arabic). 28 January 2017.
- "ISIS Launches Campaign Calling To Kill Prominent Islamic Clerics Such As Yousuf Al-Qaradawi, Saudi Mufti 'Abd Al-'Aziz Aal Al-Sheikh, Former Egyptian Chief Mufti 'Ali Gum'a". MEMRI. 14 February 2017.
- https://ar-ar.facebook.com/almahdi1111/[permanent dead link]