This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die|
|Studio album by|
|The Flesh Eaters chronology|
A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die is the second album from American punk rock band the Flesh Eaters. Released in 1981, it is perhaps their most acclaimed work. The band's roster on this album comprises Dave Alvin (guitar), John Doe (bass), Chris D. (vocals, maracas), Steve Berlin (saxophone, rhythm sticks), D. J. Bonebrake (maracas, snare, marimbas) and Bill Bateman (drums).
|Spin Alternative Record Guide||10/10|
|The Village Voice||B+|
|The Vinyl District||A+ |
Reviewing the album in 1981 for The Village Voice, Robert Christgau wrote, "this eschews the no-speed-limit egoism of El Lay punk convention for a more matoor view of the world, based on the idea that horror movies are worth taking seriously. Not bad for a laff." AllMusic's Patrick Kennedy later called it "a classic album of trashy-noir darkness, seamy Hollywood dreck, campy blues horror, and Stax-influenced, stripped-down guitar punk". In the 1995 Spin Alternative Record Guide, Byron Coley gave the album a perfect score and named it "in my opinion, the finest album ever recorded", writing "[t]he lineup ... was absolutely incredible, sliding between roars of punk bombast, American swamp-roots underpinnings, and explosive jazzy improvs like no one before or since."
All tracks composed by Chris D. except where noted.
- "Digging My Grave" – 4:21
- "Pray Til You Sweat" – 2:36
- "River of Fever" – 3:55
- "Satan's Stomp" – 5:49
- "See You in the Boneyard" – 3:30
- "So Long" – 3:30
- "Cyrano de Berger's Back" (John Doe) – 3:22
- "Divine Horseman" – 7:08
- Kennedy, Patrick (n.d.). "A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die - The Flesh Eaters". AllMusic. Retrieved November 22, 2018.
- Coley, Byron (1995). "Flesh Eaters". In Weisbard, Eric; Marks, Craig (eds.). Spin Alternative Record Guide. New York: Vintage Books. p. 150. ISBN 0-679-75574-8.
- Christgau, Robert (November 2, 1981). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. Retrieved November 22, 2018.
- Neff, Joseph (July 24, 2014). "Graded on a Curve: The Flesh Eaters, A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die". The Vinyl District. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- Neff, Joseph (2014-07-24). "Graded on a Curve: The Flesh Eaters, A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die". The Vinyl District.
- Jelly, Kames (2009-07-29). "L.A. Punk Vol. 3- The Flesh Eaters". New Jersey Noise.