|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
|Minimum radius||147.25 ft (44.88 m)|
The A Division, also known as the IRT Division, is a division of the New York City Subway, consisting of the lines operated with services designated by numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) and the 42nd Street Shuttle. These lines and services were operated by the Interborough Rapid Transit Company before the 1940 city takeover. A Division cars are narrower, shorter, and lighter than those of the B Division, measuring 8.6 by 51 feet (2.62 by 15.54 m).
List of lines
The following lines are part of the A Division (services shown in parentheses; lines with colors next to them are trunk lines):
|Station service legend|
|Stops all times|
|Stops all times except late nights|
|Stops late nights only|
|Stops weekdays only|
|Stops rush hours only|
|Stops weekdays in the peak direction only|
|Time period details|
|Station is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act|
|↑||Station is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act|
in the indicated direction only
|Elevator access to mezzanine only|
- IRT 42nd Street Shuttle (S train)
- IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line (1 2 3 trains)
- IRT Dyre Avenue Line (5 train)
- IRT Eastern Parkway Line (2 3 4 5 trains)
- IRT Flushing Line (7 <7> trains)
- IRT Jerome Avenue Line (4 5 trains)
- IRT Lenox Avenue Line (2 3 trains)
- IRT Lexington Avenue Line (4 5 6 <6> trains)
- IRT New Lots Line (2 3 4 5 trains)
- IRT Nostrand Avenue Line (2 5 trains)
- IRT Pelham Line (6 <6> trains)
- IRT White Plains Road Line (2 5 trains)
Numbers were assigned to subway services in 1948:
|1||Seventh Avenue Local||Broadway|
|2||Seventh Avenue Express (all times except late nights)||White Plains Road|
|3||Seventh Avenue Express (all times)||Lenox Avenue|
|4||Lexington Avenue Express (all times except late nights)||Jerome|
|5||Lexington Avenue Express (all times except late nights)||White Plains Road|
|6||Lexington Avenue Local (all times)||Pelham Bay Park|
|7||Flushing Express peak direction (rush hours)||Flushing|
|Flushing Local (all times)||Flushing|
- "BMT and IRT Curve Radii". Archived from the original on March 18, 2012.
- "New Technology Trains - A Division". www.nycsubway.org. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Sims, Calvin. "Alphabet Soup: Telling an IRT From a BMT". Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- "NYC Fun Facts: Not All NYC Subway Trains Are the Same Size". Untapped Cities. August 2, 2017. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Second Avenue Subway Draft Environmental Impact Statement, "Glossary" (PDF). (45.6 KiB)
- Merelli, Annalisa. "The history behind New York City's missing subway lines". Quartz. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
|This New York City transportation–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|