|2003||100 Heroes & Villains|
|2005||100 Movie Quotes|
|2007||100 Movies (Updated)|
|2008||AFI's 10 Top 10|
Part of the AFI 100 Years... series, AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs is a list of the top 100 funniest movies in American cinema. A wide variety of comedies, totalling 500 films, were nominated for the distinction; genres included slapstick comedy, action comedy, screwball comedy, romantic comedy, satire, black comedy, musical comedy, comedy of manners, and comedy of errors. The list was unveiled by the American Film Institute on June 13, 2000.
Cary Grant has the most appearances on the list, with eight films.
According to the AFI, the criteria for nomination are:
- Feature-Length Fiction Film: The film must be in narrative format typically over 60 minutes in length;
- American Film: The film must be in the English language with significant creative and/or financial production elements from the United States;
- Funny: Regardless of genre, the total comedic impact of a film’s elements that creates an experience greater than the sum of the smiles;
- Legacy: Laughs that echo across time, enriching America’s film heritage and inspiring artists and audiences today.
- "List of 500 Movies Nominated for the Top 100 Funniest American Movies" (PDF). American Film Institute. September 26, 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 11, 2019. Retrieved December 28, 2019.
- "List of America's 100 Funniest Movies" (PDF). American Film Institute. September 26, 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 16, 2013. Retrieved December 28, 2019.
- "AFI's 100 YEARS…100 LAUGHS". American Film Institute. p. Learn More. Retrieved December 28, 2019.