This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Gregorian calendar||AD 76|
|Ab urbe condita||829|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙亥年 (Wood Pig)|
2772 or 2712
— to —
丙子年 (Fire Rat)
2773 or 2713
|Coptic calendar||−208 – −207|
|- Vikram Samvat||132–133|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3176–3177|
|Iranian calendar||546 BP – 545 BP|
|Islamic calendar||563 BH – 562 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 76|
|Minguo calendar||1836 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||387/388 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||618–619|
202 or −179 or −951
— to —
203 or −178 or −950
AD 76 (LXXVI) was a leap year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Titus and Vespasianus (or, less frequently, year 829 Ab urbe condita). The denomination AD 76 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperors Vespasianus Augustus and Titus Caesar Vespasianus become Roman Consuls.
- Governor Sextus Julius Frontinus subdues the Silures and other hostile tribes of Wales, establishing a fortress at Caerleon or Isca Augusta for Legio II Augusta, and makes a network of smaller forts for his auxiliary forces.
- First year of Jianchu era of the Chinese Han Dynasty.
Art and Science
- Chinese historian Ban Gu develops a theory of the origins of the universe.
- Pope Anacletus I succeeds Pope Linus as the third pope of the Catholic Church (according to the official Vatican list).
- Linus, pope of the Catholic Church (approximate date)
- Marcus Vettius Bolanus, Roman politician and governor
- Nicanor the Deacon, Greek missionary and martyr
- Quintus Asconius Pedianus, Roman historian (b. 9 BC)