|74th Tony Awards|
|Most nominations||Jagged Little Pill (15)|
|Produced by||Ricky Kirshner|
|Directed by||Glenn Weiss|
The 74th Annual Tony Awards will recognize achievement in Broadway productions during the 2019–20 season.
Originally scheduled to be held on June 7, 2020 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, and televised by CBS, the ceremony was postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On August 21, 2020, it was announced that the ceremony will be held virtually later in the year, with further details to be announced at a later date. Jagged Little Pill led the ceremony's nominations with fifteen, and Slave Play's 12 nominations broke the record for most nominations for a non-musical play set by Angels in America at the 2018 ceremony.
Nominations were originally scheduled to be announced on April 28, 2020. Various receptions were scheduled to be held, including the Meet the Nominees Press reception (April 30) and Tony Nominees luncheon (May 19). At the Tony Honors reception, the Tony Honors for Excellence in the Theatre award was to be presented. On March 25, 2020, it was announced that the ceremony and all associated events had been postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. New York had ordered the closure of all Broadway theatres on March 12 due to restrictions on gatherings. The ceremony's broadcaster CBS aired a sing-along version of the film adaptation of Grease on the Tony Awards' originally-scheduled night.
The official eligibility cut-off date for Broadway productions opening in the 2019–20 season was originally April 23, 2020. However, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic cutting the 2019–20 theatre season short, on August 21, 2020, it was announced that only the 18 shows that opened before February 19, 2020 would be considered eligible for the 2020 online Tony Awards ceremony. A revival of West Side Story that opened February 20 and the new musical Girl from the North Country, which opened March 5, were thus not considered eligible because too few nominators and voters saw them before Broadway shut down on March 12.
Winners and nominees
‡ The award is presented to the producer(s) of the musical or play.
Most awards and nominations
|Jagged Little Pill||15|
|Moulin Rouge! The Musical||14|
|Tina: The Tina Turner Musical|
|A Soldier's Play||7|
|The Sound Inside||6|
|A Christmas Carol||5|
|Sea Wall/A Life|
|Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune||2|
|The Rose Tattoo|
|My Name Is Lucy Barton||1|
- "The 74th Annual Tony Awards Nominations to Be Announced on Thursday, October 15th". Tony Awards. October 8, 2020. Retrieved October 8, 2020.
- Patrick Hipes (October 8, 2020). "Tony Awards Nominations Coming Next Week". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 8, 2020.
- Ryan McPhee (August 21, 2020). "The 2020 Tony Awards to Be Held Digitally This Fall". Playbill. Retrieved August 21, 2020.
- Patrick Hipes (August 21, 2020). "Tony Awards Will Go Virtual In Fall; No Date Set Yet". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 21, 2020.
- Andrew Gans (February 18, 2020). "Tony Awards Reveal 2020 Calendar of Events". Playbill. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- Ryan McPhee (March 25, 2020). "2020 Tony Awards Put on Hold as Coronavirus Pandemic Causes Broadway Shutdown". Playbill. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- Nellie Andreeva (May 14, 2020). "CBS Adds Grease Sing-A-Long To Its Sunday Night Movies Schedule; Watch The Trailer – Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 16, 2020.
- Joey Nolfi (May 15, 2020). "Grease singalong to replace Tony Awards broadcast on CBS". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 15, 2020.
- "Date Set for 2020 Tony Awards - June 7 on CBS". Tony Awards. September 19, 2019. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- "Tony Awards Eligibility for 2020 – Part 1". Tony Awards. October 24, 2019. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- "Tony Awards Eligibility for 2020 – Part 2". Tony Awards. January 30, 2020. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- Michael Paulson (August 21, 2020). "Tony Awards Ceremony Will Go Ahead, Online". The New York Times. Retrieved August 23, 2020.
- McPhee, Ryan. "2020 Tony Award Nominations: Jagged Little Pill, Moulin Rouge!, Slave Play Lead the Pack" Playbill, October 15, 2020