This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article concerns the period 729 BC – 720 BC.
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
Events and trends
- 728 BC—Piye invades Egypt, conquering Memphis, and receives the submission of the rulers of the Nile Delta. He founds the Twenty-fifth dynasty of Egypt.
- 727 BC—Babylonia makes itself independent of Assyria, upon the death of Tiglath-Pileser III.
- 725 BC—Shalmaneser V starts a 3-year siege of Israel
- 725 BC—Sparta conquers the neighboring region of Messenia and takes over the land.
- 724 BC—The Assyrians start a four-year siege of Tyre.
- 724 BC—The diaulos footrace introduced at the Olympics.
- 722 BC—Northern Kingdom of Israel is conquered by Assyrian king Sargon II.
- 721 BC—The Assyrians conquer the tribes of northern Israel.
- 721 BC—Sargon II starts to rule. He builds a new capital at Dur Sharrukin (modern Khorsabad).
- 720 BC—End of the Assyrian siege of Tyre.
- c. 720 BC—Guardian figure (pictured, right), from the entrance to the throne room at palace of Sargon II is made. It is now kept in The Oriental Institute, Chicago.
- 729 BC—Tiglath-Pileser III officially crowned sovereign of Asia in Babylon.
- 729 BC—Hezekiah succeeds Ahaz as king of Judah (or 726 BC).
- 729 BC—Luli succeeds Mattan II as king of Tyre.
- 728 BC—Death of Tiglath-Pileser III, king of Assyria (or 727 BC).
- 727 BC—Death of Tiglath-Pileser III, king of Assyria (or 728 BC).
- 727 BC—Shalmaneser V becomes king of Assyria (dies 723 BC).
- 727 BC—Tefnakhte founds the Twenty-fourth dynasty of Egypt.
- 726 BC—Hezekiah succeeds Ahaz as king of Judah (or 729 BC).
- 725 BC—Bakenranef (also known as Bocchoris) succeeds his father Tefnakhte as king of the Twenty-fourth dynasty of Egypt.
- 724 BC—Ahaz, king of Judah (740 BC–726 BC) dies.
- 722 BC—Shalmaneser V, king of Assyria, dies.
- 722 BC—Sargon succeeds Shalmaneser V as king of Assyria.
- 721 BC—Shabaka succeeds his father Piye as king of the Twenty-fifth dynasty of Egypt.
- 720 BC—Shabaka kills Bakenranef (Bocchoris), ending the Twenty-fourth Dynasty of Egypt
- 720 BC—Death of King Ping of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- c. 720 BC—Birth of Guan Zhong, political adviser of Qi in eastern Ancient China.