|5th Academy Awards|
|Date||November 18, 1932|
Los Angeles, California
|Hosted by||Conrad Nagel|
|Best Picture||Grand Hotel|
|Most awards||Bad Girl and The Champ (2)|
|Most nominations||Arrowsmith and The Champ (4)|
The 5th Academy Awards were conducted by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on November 18, 1932, at a ceremony held at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California. The ceremony was hosted by Conrad Nagel. Films screened in Los Angeles between August 1, 1931, and July 31, 1932, were eligible to receive awards.
Grand Hotel became the only Best Picture winner to be nominated for Best Picture and nothing else. It was the last film to win Best Picture without a Best Director nomination until Driving Miss Daisy (1989), and the third of seven to win without a screenwriting nomination.
This was the first of three Oscars in which two films not nominated for Best Picture received more nominations than the winner (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and The Guardsman). This happened again at the 25th and 79th Academy Awards.
This was the first and, to date, only ceremony in which there was a tie for Best Actor, as well as the last ceremony to date in which no film won more than two Oscars.
Winners are listed first and highlighted in boldface.
Academy Honorary Award
Multiple nominations and awards
The following seven films received multiple nominations:
The following two films received multiple awards:
- "The 5th Academy Awards - 1933". Archived from the original on 2012-09-04.
- "Untitled Page". Archived from the original on 2013-05-15. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Grand Hotel". 11 September 1932. Archived from the original on December 14, 2012 – via IMDb.
- Mathews, Jack (March 27, 1990). "Who Really Won? : Oscars: Academy voters split their ballots, but they fail to do justice. They overlooked the directors of 'Daisy' and 'Glory'--and those films won a combined seven Oscars". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on February 21, 2014.
- "Academy Award Winners and Categories". Archived from the original on 2012-09-29.
- "Flowers and Trees". 30 July 1932. Archived from the original on July 1, 2014 – via IMDb.
- "The 5th Academy Awards (1932) Nominees and Winners". Oscars.org (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences). Archived from the original on 2016-05-07. Retrieved 2013-06-24.