This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|51st Transport Wing|
51st Troop Carrier Wing
|Branch||United States Army United States Army Air Forces|
|Engagements||World War II|
It arrived in England in September 1942 during World War II and trained for the Allied invasion of North Africa. Operated with Twelfth AF in North Africa and the Mediterranean area from November 1942 to May 1945. Moved to Germany in September 1945. Assigned to United States Air Forces in Europe. Inactivated in 1948.
- Constituted as 51st Transport Wing on 30 May 1942
- Activated on 1 June 1942
- Redesignated as 51st Troop Carrier Wing in July 1942
- Inactivated on 5 January 1948.
- I Troop Carrier Command, 1 June 1942
- VIII Air Support Command, 19 July 1942
- Twelfth Air Force, 15 November 1942
- XII Troop Carrier Command (Provisional), 15 December 1943
- Twelfth Air Force, 17 February 1944 – 8 January 1945
- United States Air Forces in Europe, September 1945-5 January 1948
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.