4DX is the 4D movie brand name of the cinema company created by CJ 4DPLEX, leading, next-generation cinema technology company. More than 660 Hollywood and local titles have been screened in 4DX. More than 78,000 4DX seats operate in 678 auditoriums, spanning 65 countries. 
CJ 4DPLEX is operating 678 4DX theaters in 65 countries as of September 2019, through partnerships with more than 80 theaters worldwide including Wanda Cinemas, Cineworld, and Cinepolis. 4DX has recorded annual growth of more than 50 percent in the past five years since 2013. CJ 4DPLEX aims to open a total of 750 4DX theaters by the end of 2019.
United States of America
In the U.S., the company signed a contract with AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group), a sports and entertainment company and a developer of a multi-functional space in downtown Los Angeles, and signed a contract with Regal Cinema L.A. Live Stadium 14 in March 2014. In the year since the opening of 4DX at L.A. Live, increased box office performance has raised interest in the U.S. CJ 4DPLEX signed a 4DX open contract with Marcus Theaters, the fifth-largest U.S. theater operator, in September 2015. In August 2016, another agreement was signed to introduce large-scale 4DX theaters and another 17 4DXs in North America by the end of 2018. In addition, CJ 4DPLEX and Cineworld Group announced the expansion of partnership at CinemaCon 2018, which brought together 79 4DX theaters in Regal Cinema in the U.S. and 20 4DX theaters in Europe and the Middle East, resulting in a total of 99 4DX theaters.
Since opening its first theater based on partnership with Korona World Cinemas in April 2013, the theater chain has seen an increase in the installation of 4DX theaters, and now operates 4DX theaters nationwide in partnership with large theater chains such as Aeon Cinemas and United Cinemas.
In 2017, CJ 4DPLEX joined hands with France's Pathe and Norway's Nordisk Film Kino to open its first 4DX theater, and started to speed up its expansion in Europe by signing partnerships with Austrian theater operator Hollywood Megaplex in February.
CJ 4DPLEX started integrating 4DX within the Chinese market with cooperation with its parent company CJ CGV in 2006, and signed contracts with UME in 2013, which is a local theater operator in China. In 2014, CJ 4DPLEX made partnerships with Woosang More, WoMai, Beijing Jinbo, and Golden Harvest. In December 2014, CJ 4DPLEX formed a partnership with Wanda Cinema, a Chinese theater operator.
At CinemaCon 2019, 4DX signed a contract with Australian theater operator Village Cinemas to open a 4DX theater within a year. It was the first time to enter Oceania, and 4DX expanded to six continents.
|Year||Number of Countries||Number of 4DX Theaters||4DX Global Box Office (USD)|
Global Box Office Performance
- In August 2019, 4DX obtained 2.7 million moviegoers. The 4DX top three performing films for August were Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, The Lion King and Aladdin. In addition, local films The Bravest and One Piece: Stampede performed well in China and Japan. Below are the top 5 movie titles of 4DX global box office hits in the first half of 2019, as of August 6, 2019.
- Avengers: Endgame ($34,705K)
- Aladdin ($24,759K)
- Aquaman ($21,301K)
- The Lion King ($16,841K)
- Captain Marvel ($14,133K)
- In July 2019, the company attracted 3.07 million viewers and $38 million in the global box office. Leading 4DX titles include The Lion King, Spider-Man: Far From Home and Aladdin.
- In 2018, the company attracted a cumulative 24 million viewers a year, recording $290 million in box office revenue.
- 2014: 4DX won the I3DS(International 3D and Advanced Imaging Society), "Cinema Innovation of the Year" 
- 2015: 4DX won the Edison Awards, Silver Prize for Media and Visual Communication Entertainment Category
- 2017: 4DX was chosen as "The Most Innovative Companies of 2017" for Live Events Category by Fast Company
- 2018: 4DX with ScreenX won the Edison Awards, Silver Prize for Media and Visual Communication Entertainment Category
- 2018: 4DX won the 'Innovation Technology of the Year Award' at Big Cine Expo
- 2019: 4DX with ScreenX won the iResearch Award, Originative Cinema Technology Category
- 2019: 4DX was chosen as "The Most Innovative Companies of 2019" for Live Events Category by Fast Company
- CJ 4DPLEX. "The Walt Disney Studios And CJ 4DPLEX Announce Release Of Four New Films In The Multi-Sensory 4DX Format Through The End Of 2019". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- Foster2019-09-24T12:10:00+01:00, Alana. "CJ leads next-gen cinema experiences with 4DX". IBC. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "CJ 4D플렉스, 미국에서 인정…리갈 시네마 극장 순위 상승". 스타투���이 (in Korean). Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "CGV 4DX, ���국 시카고 상영관 확대…마커스와 파트너십 체결". www.ajunews.com (in Korean). 9 September 2015. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPLEX, 美 '리갈 시네마'와 제휴 확대…17개 4DX 추가 설치". 아시아경제 (in Korean). 2 August 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPLEX and Cineworld Group PLC Partner to bring 145 4DX locations across U.S. and Europe | Film Journal International". web.archive.org. 17 May 2018. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- 수정: 2016.03.04 18:11, 파이낸셜뉴스 입력: 2016 03 04 10:18 (4 March 2016). "CGV 4DX, 일본서 '승승장구'..연내 50개 목표". www.fnnews.com. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "[CGV소식]4DX, 유럽 공략…노르웨이·프랑스 진출". 스타투데이 (in Korean). Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPLEX Expands 4DX Footprint to Austria with Debut at Hollywood Megaplex Gasometer". Celluloid Junkie. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- POP, 헤럴드 (31 August 2015). "CGV 4DX, 中 확장 가속화…완다·따디와 파트너십 체결". pop.heraldcorp.com (in Korean). Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "4DX announces Australian debut through new partnership with Village Cinemas | Film Journal International". web.archive.org. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Reale, A.; Syrivelis, D. (September 2018). "Experiences and challenges in building next-gen optically disaggregated datacenters : (Invited Paper)". 2018 Photonics in Switching and Computing (PSC): 1–3. doi:10.1109/PS.2018.8751236.
- CJ 4DPLEX. "4DX Draws Highest August Performance With 2.7 Million Attendees, $32 Million In The Global Box Office". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 1 October 2019.
- "4DX", 위키백과, 우리 모두의 ���과사전 (in Korean), 15 July 2019, retrieved 27 September 2019
- "4DX & ScreenX Off To Promising Second Half In 2019 - Top 10 Films". Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- 기자, 김정태. "[기업동정]CJ CGV 4DX '올해의 시네마 혁신상' 수상(기업) - NSP통신". (주)NSP뉴스통신사 (in Korean). Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "The World's 50 Most Innovative Companies of 2017". Fast Company. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "Edison Awards™ - Honoring the Best in Innovation and Innovators". www.edisonawards.com. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- CJ 4DPLEX. ""4DX with ScreenX" Wins Big and Takes Home Silver at the Edison Awards in NYC". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPLEX's 4DX Format Receives 'Innovative Technology of the Year' Award at Big Cine Expo 2018". Boxoffice. 29 August 2018. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- CJ 4DPLEX. ""4DX With ScreenX" Recipient Of Prestigious 2019 iResearch Award For Originative Cinema Technology". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "CJ 4DPlex: Most Innovative Company". Fast Company. Retrieved 27 September 2019.