|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Tema)|
|No. of films||321 films|
|Festival date||20 February – 3 March 1987|
The 37th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 20 February to 3 March 1987. The Golden Bear was awarded to the Soviet Union film Tema directed by Gleb Panfilov. The retrospective was in honour of Armenian-American film and theatre director Rouben Mamoulian. The homage was dedicated to French couple Jean-Louis Barrault, actor and director, and Madeleine Renaud, actress. It was titled Renaud-Barrault au cinéma.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Klaus Maria Brandauer, actor (Austria) - Jury President
- Juliet Berto, actress and director (France)
- Kathleen Carroll, film critic (United States)
- Callisto Cosulich, film critic (Italy)
- Victor Dyomin, actor and screenwriter (Soviet Union)
- Reinhard Hauff, director and screenwriter (Germany)
- Edmund Luft, playwright, film critic and film historian (West Germany)
- Jiří Menzel, actor, director and screenwriter (Czechoslovakia)
- Dan Pița, director and screenwriter (Romania)
- Paul Schrader, director, screenwriter and film critic (United States)
- Antonio Skármeta, writer (Chile)
Films in competition
Out of competition
- Прощание Proshchanie, directed by Elem Klimov (Soviet Union)
- The Color of Money, directed by Martin Scorsese (USA)
- Kronika wypadków miłosnych, directed by Andrzej Wajda (Poland)
- Der kleine Staatsanwalt, directed by Hark Bohm (West Germany)
- Light of Day, directed by Paul Schrader (USA)
- Ein Treffen mit Rimbaud, directed by Ernst-August Zurborn (West Germany)
- True Stories, directed by David Byrne (USA)
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|Becky Sharp||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Blood and Sand||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|City Streets||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Golden Boy||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|High, Wide, and Handsome||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Interview With Mamoulian||Philip Jenkinson||United Kingdom|
|Love Me Tonight||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Queen Christina||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Rings on Her Fingers||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Silk Stockings||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|Summer Holiday||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|The Gay Desperado||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|The Mark of Zorro||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|The Song of Songs||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
|We Live Again||Rouben Mamoulian||USA|
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: Tema by Gleb Panfilov
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Umi to dokuyaku by Kei Kumai
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Oliver Stone for Platoon
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Ana Beatriz Nogueira for Vera
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Gian Maria Volonté for Il caso Moro
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement:
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Children of a Lesser God
- Alfred-Bauer Prize: Mauvais Sang
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1987". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "37th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 28 December 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1987". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Retrospective, Berlinale Classics & Homage". berlinale.de. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "JURIES 1987". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE 1987". Retrieved 7 June 2020.