|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Ascendancy and La colmena)|
|No. of films||330 films|
|Festival date||18 February – 1 March 1983|
The Golden Bear was awarded to the British film Ascendancy directed by Edward Bennett and Spanish film La colmena directed by Mario Camus. The retrospective titled Exile. Six Actors from Germany was dedicated to German or Austrian actors Wolfgang Zilzer, Curt Bois, Dolly Haas, Francis Lederer, Elisabeth Bergner and Hertha Thiele, who were forced to leave Germany after the 1930s rise of the Nazi regime.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Jeanne Moreau, actress (France) - Jury President
- Alex Bänninger, publicist and writer (Switzerland)
- Franco Brusati, playwright, director and screenwriter (Italy)
- Elem Klimov, director (Soviet Union)
- Ursula Ludwig, actress (West Germany)
- Kurt Maetzig, director and screenwriter (East Germany)
- Joseph L. Mankiewicz, director, screenwriter and producer (United States)
- Franz Seitz, director, screenwriter and producer (West Germany)
- Huang Zongjiang, writer (China)
Films in competition
Out of competition
- De vlaschaard, directed by Jan Gruyaert (Belgium, Netherlands)
- Echtzeit, directed by Hellmuth Costard and Jürgen Ebert (West Germany)
- Das Gespenst, directed by Herbert Achternbusch (West Germany)
- In the King of Prussia, directed by Emile de Antonio (USA)
- Klassen Feind, directed by Peter Stein (West Germany)
- Koyaanisqatsi, directed by Godfrey Reggio (USA)
- Krieg und Frieden, directed by Stefan Aust, Axel Engstfeld, Alexander Kluge and Volker Schlöndorff (West Germany)
- Sans Soleil, directed by Chris Marker (France)
- Tootsie, directed by Sydney Pollack (USA)
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
The following films were shown in the retrospective "Exile. Six Actors from Germany":
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear:
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Hakkâri'de Bir Mevsim by Erden Kıral
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Éric Rohmer for Pauline à la plage
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Yevgeniya Glushenko for Vlyublyon po sobstvennomu zhelaniyu
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Bruce Dern for That Championship Season
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Xaver Schwarzenberger for Der stille Ozean
- Honourable Mention:
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1983". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "33rd Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 28 December 2010. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- Wolfgang Jacobsen: 50 Jahre Berlinale – Internationale Filmfestspiele Berlin, page 180 – Nicolai, Berlin 2000. ISBN 3-87584-905-1
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1983". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "JURIES 1983". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE 1983". Retrieved 27 June 2014.