|306th Tactical Fighter Squadron|
306 Squadron Mitsubishi F-15s (2009)
|Active||June 30, 1981-present|
|Branch||Japan Air Self-Defense Force|
|Part of||Central Air Defense Force, 6th Air Wing|
|Garrison/HQ||Komatsu Air Base|
The 306th Tactical Fighter Squadron (第306飛行隊 (dai-sann-byaku-roku-hikoutai)) is a squadron of the 6th Air Wing of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JSDAF) based at Komatsu Air Base, in Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan. It is equipped with Mitsubishi F-15J/DJ and Kawasaki T-4 aircraft.
The 306th Tactical Fighter Squadron was founded on at Hyakuri Air Base on December 1, 1981 with F-4EJ aircraft. The squadron was the successor to the Lockheed F-104J/DJ Starfighter-equipped 205th Tactical Fighter Squadron. It was the sixth and final squadron of the JASDF to be equipped with the F-4. One of the aircraft (17–8440) was the last of the 5,195 F-4 Phantoms to be produced. It was manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries on May 21, 1981. "The Final Phantom" later transferred to the 301st Tactical Fighter Squadron. In 1989 the squadron's aircraft were upgraded to F-4EJ Kai standard. In 1997 it converted from the F-4 and became the eighth and final of the F-15J squadrons existing at that time.
The squadron has participated in overseas exercises with US and other forces. 306th squadron aircraft have taken part in the Red Flag - Alaska exercise at Eielson Air Force Base in the United States on a number of occasions, including 2012–2, 2013-3, and 2015-3. It also participated in Cope North including in 1986, 2015 and 2016.
The squadron's aircraft carry a golden eagle as their tail marking, inside a stylized "6" indicating the 6th Air Wing. The golden eagle can be found in the mountains near Komatsu air base, and is also the prefectural bird of Ishikawa.
- McDonnell Douglas F-4EJ (1981–1989)
- McDonnell Douglas F-4EJ Kai (1989–1997)
- Mitsubishi F-15J (1997–present)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 306 Squadron (JASDF).|
- Thompson, Paul JASDF – Order of Battle July 1, 2017 J-HangarSpace Retrieved September 17, 2017
- Thompson, Paul JASDF – Squadron Histories J-HangarSpace Retrieved September 17, 2017
- 17-8440 McDonnell Douglas F-4EJ Kai Retrieved September 28, 2017
- JASDF crew chiefs in action Retrieved September 20, 2017
- North Korea, Beware! F-15 Practice Armada Assembles in Alaska August 19, 2013 War Is Boring Retrieved September 20, 2017
- RED FLAG-Alaska 15-3 officially begins at Eielson August 11, 2015 Retrieved September 20, 2017
- Stunning air-to-air photography from Cope North 2015 February 20, 2015 Retrieved September 20, 2017
- Exercise Cope North 2016 Alert 5 Retrieved September 20, 2017]
- "US, Japan bomber-fighter integration training showcases strength of alliance". July 26, 2018. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Johnson, Jesse (July 28, 2018). "ASDF trains with B-52 heavy bombers in rare joint drill amid thaw with North Korea". Japan Times. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- "米軍との共同訓練の実施について" (PDF). www.mod.go. Ministry of Defense. July 30, 2018. Retrieved July 30, 2018. (in Japanese)